• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Any idea what kind of algae this is?

55 gal recently cycled I understand I’ll be going through an ugly phase from an algae cycle just wondering what this may be so I can be proactive in taking care of it. It kind of looks like freckles on
58810f0a9cd72c3b2c3d4acb5e4f940a.jpg
the rock and the glass is starting to get some spots as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that diatoms are usually the first population to explode in a saltwater tank. They were in my tank. And everyone who sees them the first time panics. Diatoms require silicon for their outer shells, which is usually more abundant in new sand, rocks and water. They generally work there way out. Filtering out the dead shells helps speed up the process. Water flow helps this along. They are part of the bottom of the food chain in the ocean. amphipods and copepods help balance a tank as it matures. Sometimes these need to be introduced, but they may arrive on corals.