• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Auto Feeding Systems?

Andy Aquariums

NJRC Member
As I am setting up my new system, I am intrigued about automatic feeding systems. I like the videos of using the Neptune DOS to automatically feed frozen food but don't want to spend the extra money. I have an extra Jebao sitting around and could use that but should I worry about food rotting in the airline tubing between feedings since the Jebao (unlike the DOS) can't reverse pump?

Also looking at picking up at an Eheim auto feeder to put reef roids into the return section of the sump once or twice a day. Any thoughts on the efficacy of that?

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
If food sits in the Jebao it may clog the lines.
I have 2 Eheim autofeeders and they work great, though dumping into the sump may just lead to a collection of food in a non filtered area.
Why not just use the Eheim to dose directly into the tank near the return?

Andy Aquariums

NJRC Member
If food sits in the Jebao it may clog the lines.
I have 2 Eheim autofeeders and they work great, though dumping into the sump may just lead to a collection of food in a non filtered area.
Why not just use the Eheim to dose directly into the tank near the return?

I'm setting up a system where 1 sump services three different tanks. I don't want 3 different feeders. Also, i feed my fish frozen food so the atuo feeders won't help. I'm only thinking of using the auto feeders to feed corals.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Corals eat fish poop. You don’t need to feed corals. Fish poop and light is all corals need to grow. Fish poop is free and always in the tank.
Feeding frozen only is not a good idea. Feeding flakes/pellets on a auto feeder is good and frozen when you are home. A lot of small meals during the day is the best way to feed fish. Instead of a huge meal at night. Auto feeder helps with this. Also when you travel on vacation You can’t feed frozen.

Last edited:
The jebao will probably clog because the heads are so small. But you dont need it to reverse if you run the feed line into the refrigerator. I tried the reef roids in the return pump section and it clogged the return pump fast.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I used my dos to feed nyos Artemis and gold pods during vacation this year. As long as it flows through the tubing, you should be fine. I didn't refrigerate the Artemis, just left it on then shelf.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
As I am setting up my new system, I am intrigued about automatic feeding systems. I like the videos of using the Neptune DOS to automatically feed frozen food but don't want to spend the extra money. I have an extra Jebao sitting around and could use that but should I worry about food rotting in the airline tubing between feedings since the Jebao (unlike the DOS) can't reverse pump?

Also looking at picking up at an Eheim auto feeder to put reef roids into the return section of the sump once or twice a day. Any thoughts on the efficacy of that?
The eheim feeder is great, probably the best auto feeder around IMO but with reef roids, I'd be careful with that.

1st, it should be diluted in water before going into your tank as it could just float into your overflow. 2nd, that stuff is powerful so a little will go a long way. A manual, less frequent feeding of this may be the best approach long term.

A friend used a cold style fridge, set to freeze that would flow water into a rig of cups with frozen food that then drained it down into the tank. Awesome concept but was very touchy and required a ton of maintenance. The Eheim, and Apex feeder work great for the mixture of pellets and flakes.

Andy Aquariums

NJRC Member
A friend used a cold style fridge, set to freeze that would flow water into a rig of cups with frozen food that then drained it down into the tank. Awesome concept but was very touchy and required a ton of maintenance. The Eheim, and Apex feeder work great for the mixture of pellets and flakes.

I was thinking doing the DIY fridge approach, but it seemed really finicky and a lot more work than just feeding manually.