• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New new 40 breed

I am in the process of upgrading from my first reef tank, (10gallon) that has been running for a little over 2 years. It has cheap reef lights that grow softies fine, and required lots of water changes and maintenance. So far I have purchased a 40 breeder, a 20L for the sump, stand & a reef octopus SP-1000sss skimmer. Next I will bring it to Alex @ OIA to drill and plumb. I will to order a Reefbreeder Photon 24” V2 led. Once I cycle it, I will swap my fish over. And get rid of all my soft coral. Everything i currently have in my tank, are the types that tend to overtake tanks. I’m not sure what I’m goig to do with it all.

erics210

NJRC Member
As discussed David. I will swap you the 30-40 pounds of the dry rock that I configured and sent pictures of for the new build for the softies rock from your 10 gallon. I have the second tank with pulsing xenia and such that will like the new additions.

Just dropped off the tanks @ Ocean Image Aquatics. He is closed on mondays, but he was at the shop, so I was able to drop it off. He will do the drilling & plumbing. We decided to add a reactor to the sump which was not originally planed. The minimal cost of the reactor, and its potential benefits made it an easy decision for me. I also decided on a jebeo DC controllable return pump. I like the feed mode feature. I do like to turn down my pumps to feed, and I have forgotten to turn them back up a few times.

Now have all the important stuff for the new tank now. The Reefbreeder photon V2 lights arrived. Got plenty of dead rock from eric210. (Thanks again Eric), There is also a nice piece of live rock that’s been in the sump of my current tank to seed it. I will pick up a couple bags of live sand this week as well. I should have the tank back here on Friday.

julie

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I am in the process of upgrading from my first reef tank, (10gallon) that has been running for a little over 2 years. It has cheap reef lights that grow softies fine, and required lots of water changes and maintenance. So far I have purchased a 40 breeder, a 20L for the sump, stand & a reef octopus SP-1000sss skimmer. Next I will bring it to Alex @ OIA to drill and plumb. I will to order a Reefbreeder Photon 24” V2 led. Once I cycle it, I will swap my fish over. And get rid of all my soft coral. Everything i currently have in my tank, are the types that tend to overtake tanks. I’m not sure what I’m goig to do with it all.
I'm just starting my 60 gallon red sea build I'd love softies and would be willing to take them off your hands!

julie

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Now have all the important stuff for the new tank now. The Reefbreeder photon V2 lights arrived. Got plenty of dead rock from eric210. (Thanks again Eric), There is also a nice piece of live rock that’s been in the sump of my current tank to seed it. I will pick up a couple bags of live sand this week as well. I should have the tank back here on Friday.
Do you have pictures of your tank? I would love to see your build!

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Unless this live sand comes with pods, worms, micro brittle stars etc, I would just use some dry sand and save a little money.
From a bacteria standpoint though both the live sand in a bag and dry sand will be almost identical in about a months time anyways. The only good thing the live sand is saving you time in rinsing it.

julie

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Unless this live sand comes with pods, worms, micro brittle stars etc, I would just use some dry sand and save a little money.
From a bacteria standpoint though both the live sand in a bag and dry sand will be almost identical in about a months time anyways. The only good thing the live sand is saving you time in rinsing it.

Thanks @diana a for posting this video! it was awesome! I'm getting off of this message right now and I will be subscribing to the BRS Channel! Thanks again Diana you always have great posts and awesome info.