• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Alert to reefers using Reef Crystals !

EZreefin

NJRC Member
I bought a 160 gallon bucket of Reef Crystals from Chewy in July. The lot number is 23346.

I always roll the bucket, shake it, turn it upsidedown etc. to make sure there is no settling during shipping, open it up and check for clumping and discoloration etc. mix it in a 55 gallon bin of RODI water at 77 degrees for more then 24 hrs before I test salinity. And never turn the pump off. Now with that out of the way I did a 40 gallon water change to my 125 gallon reef tank.

After the water change my green Bali slimer went crazy. Way more then normal... It usually slimes a little, but not like this. It was a lot .I just thought it was annoyed and thought nothing of it. My PH and ALK were good. I just let it go. The next day my turbo snail was upside down, my serpent starfish looked lifeless and barely moved when I touched it. I thought it was odd and my gorgonian still never opened from the day before.

Next day my Jedi mindtrick was very light in color, snail still didn't move and same with starfish. I called a fellow reefing buddy and tried to troubleshoot ... He mentioned that some signs point Magnesium. I know too high can kill snails... And though maybe.... I'll test it. Well the test came in at 780ppm....yes 780ppm I thought it was an error .... I tested it again... I call my buddy and he didn't think it was possible also .. he brought his kit over to double check .. (red sea kit) sure enough it was !

I tested a fresh batch in the bin with the red sea mag. Kit and it turned blue with only using .10 of the agent... It was so low that it didn't even read on the chart. my buddy had a 5 gallon salt mix from the last batch that I used for my tank and tested it with his other Salifert kit. It came in at 270!

I reached out to Instant Ocean and they sent me a bunch of questions and asked for pictures,proof of purchase, how was the salt made and how long before it was used. They said they will ship me another bucket of salt and will send the complaint up to Quality control to do some research on the specific batch / lot of salt.

So now lesson learned. I tested for years on there salt and never had a problem. I just expected the quality to be there and just tested usually for ALK. Now I will go back to testing MAG. and Calcium also. Over the past couple of days I used about a gallon of Mag from BRS and I sit now at 1080ppm Mag. And over the next few days I'll cont. to bring it up a little more each day. Also my calcium suffered due to the low Mag. And it was at 380 but now is back up to 420 slowly moving it up also.

I lost my big turbo snail, starfish, 3/4 of my Jedi mindtrick, but it stopped bleaching and is getting color again on the part that is left. My Walt Disney had a portion that just peeled off the skeleton so I had to cut it off quickly from the main colony. It seemed to work hopefully . the piece bleached but my main colony is still looking good 2 days later. And My TSA Bollywood died today.. so hopefully that is last thing to go. Fingers crossed .

Sorry this is so long, I just wanted to let people know what happened and to be aware of a possible bad batch of salt out there. I don't want other reefers to go through what I'm going through now.

Safe reefing everyone!

Attachments

• PXL_20240905_173435655.jpg
    PXL_20240905_173435655.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20240905_173447651.jpg
    PXL_20240905_173447651.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
make sure you verify your salinity. I don’t trust calibrated refractometers anymore after having one read wrong even though I routinely calibrate it. That glass hydrometer from tropic Marin is the best to use as a cross reference. I was cursing out Red Sea salt over the winter because of low mg and potassium but my icp showed me a salinity of 1.021 when I thought I was 1.026 lol.

EZreefin

NJRC Member
make sure you verify your salinity. I don’t trust calibrated refractometers anymore after having one read wrong even though I routinely calibrate it. That glass hydrometer from tropic Marin is the best to use as a cross reference. I was cursing out Red Sea salt over the winter because of low mg and potassium but my icp showed me a salinity of 1.021 when I thought I was 1.026 lol.
Oh wow! I'm glad you figured it out! I usually check the salinity multiple times, then test my 2 other tanks to make sure the batch matches and is good. I also use fresh water afterwards to make sure it reads zero...But, you make a valid point and with the week I had ... I might look into it. I really don't want any other issues like this! Thanks for the tip!

Oh! and also a fellow reefer had the Hanna salinity meter and tested the bad batch just to double check the salinity. It was on point.

I use a pinpoint monitor and the TM glass hydrometer.

erics210

NJRC Member
WOW...
Glad you figured it out BEFORE it was too late.

Eric, if you still have the salt and have no use for it, I could slowly work it into my other reef crystals for my clown only tanks maybe...

EZreefin

NJRC Member
Sorry Eric, I ended up dumping the 55 gallons I had mixed in the bin and threw out the rest of the salt. I didn't want to risk other things being off or over dosed in the mix. I was told by the company they would send me another bucket and they would send my findings to quality control.

EZreefin

NJRC Member
Nope. Not at all. I have given a detailed response to all of there questions. Lots of details on how the salt bucket was rolled around, shaken, turned upside down to make sure there was consistency throughout the mix and no clumps etc. even down to the temp and how many days it was mixed with the pump never turned off to make sure there is no percipertation.

I got a thank you email to signal they got the email and told I will receive another bucket of salt and it will be sent to quality control to be looked into. So far I have not received my bucket of salt ...

DangerDave

NJRC Member
The magnesium levels that my trident have been reading have been showing low. It's typically off from hanna, but in a predictable manner. I only usually follow alk, but after reading this and struggling with some sps frags and now a few torches I measured. It's low, I'm at 1080. Following the trending in apex, it seems to mirror the last 200G box of IO I used. I don't have the box to check lot numbers or anything. I got the 8.8lb bucket of Seachem mag, and hope to have it where I need as I get it dosed in there.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
This is not good, two people now. I have a bucket sitting in garage and have not used it yet. I will have to remember to test before hand....PITA

EZreefin

NJRC Member
The magnesium levels that my trident have been reading have been showing low. It's typically off from hanna, but in a predictable manner. I only usually follow alk, but after reading this and struggling with some sps frags and now a few torches I measured. It's low, I'm at 1080. Following the trending in apex, it seems to mirror the last 200G box of IO I used. I don't have the box to check lot numbers or anything. I got the 8.8lb bucket of Seachem mag, and hope to have it where I need as I get it dosed in there.
Wow.. glad you caught it. You most likely know, but just in case be careful and keep checking your salinity While dosing . Magnesium is usually a mix of 2 kinds. magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate. I had to dose a gallon and a half over the course of 2 weeks. To Finally get the mag. Up to where it belongs.

I had to stop for a day and remove about a gallon of tank water ever hour or 2 and replaced it with RODI water.
I was a gallon of magnesium in then it dawned on me... ****! it's part Mag. Chloride.. as in it has salt in it!... Lol ****! checked my salinity and it was 1.028-1.029! So I slowly over the course of the day dropped it. I didn't loose anything else yet... Fingers crossed and everything has opened back up.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
This is not good, two people now. I have a bucket sitting in garage and have not used it yet. I will have to remember to test before hand....PITA
Just grab some mag, extra money and a pain in the ass but if you go in knowing it will be a problem you can account for without a hiccup on your reef.

EZreefin

NJRC Member
Update:

I ended up getting a box in the mail. I opened it up and it was Instant Ocean purple bucket and not Reef Crystals orange bucket. I was kind of confused at first and didn't know how to take it. Lol

I sent them the receipt and it even showed REEF CRYSTALS so why did I receive the cheaper salt? I was thankful I got something but it's not what I paid for .. so I wrote them back. I asked, why did I receive a cheaper salt when I was told I would get another bucket since mine was bad? They responded that it must have been a shipping error and they will send me out a reef crystals bucket right away.

So I guess that is a plus. They didn't say I had to return the Instant Ocean so I guess I get a freebie? No word yet about quality control or anything about the batch/ lot number.