• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Diatoms

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have been battling diatoms and Cyano since I removed the ship decoration. Initially tried Chemiclean but no good; well this week realized I was using the wrong spoon as it was to small. the cyano is gone but still have diatoms. My Nitrate is 0 and Phos is 0.5.
Should I add Phosguard to remove Phos and Silicate or just a silicate remover?

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Is this a new tank? Once the diatoms absorb any silicates in the tank, and they been ate by snails your problems are over. Trochus snails eat diatoms. Cheap and they'll eat almost anything else.

As a note, those nitrates are very low, and the phosphates are kinda high.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I would run some GFO while dosing NeoNitro. no3 and po4 are out of balance and can cause lots of problems.
Thought of that. Will have to order some but don't have a reactor so will just sit in a bag in the sump.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Get your nitrates up and don't reduce phosphates. If you leave it as is, you will have dino

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Dosed liquid phosphate remover and added Phosguard - phosphates are now 0.1
Dosing NeoNitro and nitrates still at 0. Dosed 5ml last three days.