• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DIY Fishtrap

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I had a blue eye tang that was harassing every new fish I added to the tank-so I needed to get it out- tried using a mirror and net with no luck- checked out commercially made traps and made my own using a half gallon juice bottle, a couple of zip ties, some fishing line and some plastic mesh ( for needlecraft )a rock to weigh it down. I did have a small plastic bottle for feeding if necessary, but didn't need it in the end. I put the trap in the tank and left it there for a few days- some fish checked it out right away- the tang stayed away until some algea started to grow. You might need magnets or suction cups for ffish that swim higher in the tank

Attachments

• trap1.jpg
    trap1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • trap2.jpg
    trap2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I did the same with 2 inverted bottles for smaller fish and used magnets. It does work well; just need patience.
Eventually, I bought the BRS trap off a member here for $20.