• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Food Recipe...?

malulu

NJRC Member
Hi all,

Since ThanksGiving is right around the corner...

any one have some good foods' recipe(s) to share? Especially the "Turkey" one!
:D

thx

malulu

NJRC Member
(1)
i could GOOGLE "Turkey"... but wanted to get some of you reefer's "secret recipe"...
;D

(2)
wow - a tur-duck-en! first time heard of it, and it looks so yummy!! where can i get one, near by middlesex county??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken

300px-Turducken_quartered_cross-section.jpg

If you are going to bake the turkey look in to brining. We have done it that way for a few years and it is awesome. Comes out a lot more juicy and flavored. The Williams-Sonoma brine mix is pretty good but I'm sure it is easy to make your own. We deep fry on as well which is always fun

Reefposer said:
If you are going to bake the turkey look in to brining. We have done it that way for a few years and it is awesome. Comes out a lot more juicy and flavored. The Williams-Sonoma brine mix is pretty good but I'm sure it is easy to make your own. We deep fry on as well which is always fun

I agree on this. If done correctly, it's just as juicy if not more than an oven cooked one. Just keep a fire extinguisher handy. ;D

We brine d our last turkey (Had it for Canadian Thanksgiving last month) and it was awesome. Best bird I ever had.

My wife had never successfully cooked a whole turkey or a whole chicken for that matter and it came out perfect.

Would definitely brine our next one that we cook at home

I've got one for you, David: DEEP FRY your turkey. It's THE best!! ;D (...and that's according to all the guests we feed each and every Holiday)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING..........Here is a recipe I thought you would like for the holidays
Ingredients:
1 whole turkey
1 large lemon, cut into halves
salt and pepper to taste
butter or olive oil, whichever you prefer
Heat oven to 350 degrees
Rub butter or oil over the skin of the turkey until it is completely coated.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper and any other seasonings you prefer.
Take a knife and gently separate the skin from the breast meat;

Slide lemon halves under the skin with the peel side up, one on each side. This way the juice from the lemon will release into the breasts.

Cover and bake for 30-45 minutes. Remove cover and continue to roast until juices run clear, basting every 15-20 minutes.

If you've followed these steps correctly, your turkey should look like the one in the picture.

Bon Appetit!

tbone212371 said:
HAPPY THANKSGIVING..........Here is a recipe I thought you would like for the holidays
Ingredients:
1 whole turkey
1 large lemon, cut into halves
salt and pepper to taste
butter or olive oil, whichever you prefer
Heat oven to 350 degrees
Rub butter or oil over the skin of the turkey until it is completely coated.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper and any other seasonings you prefer.
Take a knife and gently separate the skin from the breast meat;

Slide lemon halves under the skin with the peel side up, one on each side. This way the juice from the lemon will release into the breasts.

Cover and bake for 30-45 minutes. Remove cover and continue to roast until juices run clear, basting every 15-20 minutes.

If you've followed these steps correctly, your turkey should look like the one in the picture.

Bon Appetit!

Now that's one perky turkey! ;D Sorry....couldnt resist.

malulu

NJRC Member
Hawkeye said:
Brining is definitely the way to go though.

Good luck with the turducken...am i invited? hahaha ;)

- i ended up with get the "Tur-Duc-Ken" from Kings-Supermarket (thanks to Magic-Bob!)
- but it cames with already seasoned with Cajun favor!! so i can't do more Brining to it...
- i will try it this year and see how it goes.
- I would love to invite more peoples (BUT, I am bring the Tur-Duc-ken to my friend's house, so can't do it this year...)

malulu

NJRC Member
JerseyWendy said:
I've got one for you, David: DEEP FRY your turkey. It's THE best!! ;D (...and that's according to all the guests we feed each and every Holiday)

Quote from Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken
----
The result is a fairly solid layered poultry dish, suitable for cooking by braising, roasting, grilling, or barbecuing. The turducken is not suitable for deep frying Cajun style (to deep fry poultry, the body cavity must be hollow to cook evenly).
----

so, i guess deep frying Tur-Duc-Ken option is out.
:-\

malulu

NJRC Member
i got this recipe from a my wife's friend, by the sound of it, it seems very good, but won't be able to try it for this year, may be some of you can.?
:D
she told me over the phone, no exact measurement... no exact translation... and help to update with the correct info!!
;D

CLEANING:

- one ~ 20 LB turkey
- Defrost it, clean it thoroughly - especially the inside of it

TO KILL OFF THE BLOODY SMELL:
- Boil water which mix with some Chinese Spice seasoning http://ninecooks.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/fivespicepowder.jpg (the water is just enough to cover the turkey), BUT DO NOT put in the turkey just yet!
- once the water is boil, let it COOL down first!
- then put in turkey with one bottle of cooking wine, let it soak for 2 to 3 days, store in cool place (may be inside the frig.)
- drain all the water and let the turkey drip dried

PREPARATION:
- cut these in slice: 1 apple, 1 orange, 1 onion, 1 fig, some rose-marry…
- microwave the above stuff to warm temperature
- flip the turkey with the opening on top
- stuff them inside the turkey (the inner turkey will be smell so good when done!!!)
- sit the turkey on a grill-tray http://www.lawsonshop.co.uk/prodimages/KCTRAY_MAIN.jpg make sure to have a drip-pan http://www.bbqs.com/images/36105---Ceramic-Drip-Pan.jpg to correct the dripping oil and juice
- get a lots of bacon to wrap/cover the whole turkey
- cover the whole turkey including the tray with aluminum foil (just like those fruits basket gift, that is how it should look like)

ACTION:
- put in oven, set for 350 degree, bake for 6 hours.
- remove foils
- remove bacon & put aside (out of oven)
- remove turkey on the side
- remove inner stuff from Turkey with big spoon to a dish or bowl
- store/throw away the grease/oil, pour the gravy/juice at the bottom of the tray to a cooking pot
- flip the turkey, put back on the grill-tray, the opening is now on the bottom
- bake only the turkey again (20 mins or so) till the skin is brownish, and crispy.

GRAVY:
- burn the gravy cooking with low heat, add in little bit red wine
- mix flour with cold water in a bowl, stir, mix them well... slowly pour them in the hot gravy pot, stir till it is cooked. (can add more water, or more flour to your liking…)

SERVING
- place the inner stuff around the Turkey on the side,
- lay the bacon on top of the inner stuff

ENJOY:
- done.

You got one of those durkey things right? It is going to change your cook time a lot.

With a non stuffed turkey it is a lot easier because the weight is what I would call a TRUE weight....it is what it is. When you stuff it with stuffing or in your case a whole nother bird it is solid and the weight is greater. To tell you 6 hrs is a bit tricky if you have a 10 lb bird 6 hrs is going to be turkey jerkey if you have a massive 30lb bird stuffed with another bird it may not be enough time. I have never done a Tur-duk-en. The other issue is an open bird where the heat can flow through a hollow bird allows for quicker cooking. I would try to find out from Kings what their cooking time is for your bad boy.

I think spices and stuff is mostly personal...I do it like my mother did it and wouldn't do it any other way.

For the gravey if you get a neck I often cook that with small onion carrot and celery in a separate pot with water liter maybe...for couple hours...then when you have the turkey drippings you can add this broth to increase your volume. I usually use Wondra flour as it makes gravey easy or rue which is clarified butter mixed with the flour so it doesn't lump.

malulu

NJRC Member
James,

thanks for the advise.

- the Tur-Duc-Ken that I got from Kings have details cooking/heating instruction on the box.

- the above post was for regular Turkey. (can you help to share your mother's secret spicy & stuff recipe?)

- i will try your way of Graveying...
;-)

Well I cannot give you the exact formula because well I don't have one.
Stuffing wise it is basic, saute onions and celery in butter/olive oil add bread after they soften add poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. That is really it. I do it to taste.
Same basic standard stuffing for the last 40 years so for me that is it.

Make sure you wisk the flour if you use Wondra you want to add slow and wisk so you don't get clumps.

Wow That turducky thing looks wierd! If I suggested that one to my wife I'd get the look of death and a few choice words my way ! HAHAHA