• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Good Beginner Reef Books

Hi all. Well I'm making out my X-Mas list and I want Santa to bring some books on reefkeeping and corals. I'm about to actually fill my tank and I want to be sure to get off on the right foot. I can do a lot of reading while the darn thing cycles. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Lou

malulu

NJRC Member
highly recomment this one! enjoy!!

The New Marine Aquarium: Step-By-Step Setup & Stocking Guide (Paperback)
517NHRSVVWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

The single best book that covers almost everything is Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History by Eric Borneman

The Reef Aquarium series Vol. I, II & III by Sprung & Delbeek is also very good but very pricey.

The book I read and that helped me a lot was The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. It was definantly a good book and a decent read. It was not that boring and very informative.

511F8K19A2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Of course writing on WetWebMedia I'm going to say The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner, as the best basic overall marine book, but it is getting dated and a new edition may be around the corner... SO other than that, The PocketExpert guides on Marine Fishes (By Scott Michael) and Marine Inverts (By Ron Shimek) I think will be the MOST ESSENTIAL to you at this stage of the game. They are small, portable books that you can easily take with you to the LFS so you don't make any stupid purchases. These books will save you money and potentially save the lives of animals that you might otherwise purchase out of ignorance. I found these books to be a tremendous help and refer to them continously. They are moey well spent! (They run around $25 so they are good wish list gifts.) I hope you enjoy them!

Also Matine Invertebrates by Ronald L. Shimek, ph.d.
info on corals what size tank. how big it gets. foods feeding. suitability. captive care.