• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Low phosphate fish food

I’m going to do my own frozen fish food. The question now it’s that food out there has the less amount of phosphate in it?
I know salmon, shrimp, scallops are great nutritional sea foods.
But I want to stick with the ones with the less phosphate content in it.
If you have any knowledge on this topic any advice will be appreciated.
Thank you all.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Know your fish monger!

Naturally occurring phosphates within the various fish/mollusks is not the issue. Dr. Randy wrote up a nice little paper about this HERE.

Where there is an issue is the store applying sodium tripolyphosphate to preserve the raw fish/mollusk and make them appear shiny and fresh. And here's the kicker, they don't have to label that this product contains this preservative. So I'd suggest you stay away from already shucked mollusks and already peeled shrimp sold in plastic containers. Buy live shell fish and shuck youself. Fish is the problem. You're best bet is to buy the whole fish. It's already filleted fish that has the chance of having this preservative on it. That's why I say, know your fish monger.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I have been making my own fish food for years. I have never had a problem with any mix I have made. I use all types of fish.
most of the time my food contains, clam, shrimp, scallops, misses, brine shrimp, omega pellets, nori, reef roids, and whatever fish I fought that week. If I have more I’ll add it. If you are worried about phosphate rinse before giving it to the fish. I never do, nutrients in and nutrients out Don’t worry so much about putting them in as much is getting them out quickly.

Last edited:
Know your fish monger!

Naturally occurring phosphates within the various fish/mollusks is not the issue. Dr. Randy wrote up a nice little paper about this HERE.

Where there is an issue is the store applying sodium tripolyphosphate to preserve the raw fish/mollusk and make them appear shiny and fresh. And here's the kicker, they don't have to label that this product contains this preservative. So I'd suggest you stay away from already shucked mollusks and already peeled shrimp sold in plastic containers. Buy live shell fish and shuck youself. Fish is the problem. You're best bet is to buy the whole fish. It's already filleted fish that has the chance of having this preservative on it. That's why I say, know your fish monger.
Even some shelled shrimp use the preservative, did not know that it wasn't required to be listed in the ingredients though!