• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

setting up 55

Hey everyone

what's the best way to set up a reef tank with sand. I use the Jaubert style, with plenum, what or how are you currently set up?

edwin

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Rock first then sand. We have it all just sitting on the bottom of the tank. I guess I'm new enough to the hobby not to know of any other way!

Thanks Phyl

I think most people do it that way. I used the jaubert plenum style on my 90 and it works well, just want to do something different this time. I'm going to breakdown the 90, sell off whatever l/r I have left and just go with the 55 for a while. Can't do much else, with oak floors, a new baby and no time to really keep up with the tank, I need to tone it down a little.

Any other ideas?

Rev

It's got to break your heart to tear down a larger reef and have to make do with a smaller one. but that's the way things work out sometimes.

My thoughts would tend to lead to not use a deep sand bed with a jaubert plenum in a 55. The take is only 18 inches high, and the typical 2" plenum with a 4" DSB on top is going to take up a lot of space in the tank. I have a 30 gal reef with just a 4" DSB and I sort of regret doing it, because the water volume loss is almost 1/3 of the tank.

Have you considered going with a bare bottom tank and building a refugium in something like a 10 or 15 gal tank, and putting the DSB and some macro algae in that?

BTW, the 90 still has it's uses. When I got my 90 and it was still empty, my nephews visited, and I told them I was going to keep cranky nephews in it. - evil grin.