• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Thank You Gemini!

radiata

NJRC Member
ME:
How would I use the oscillate command in Neptune's Apex controller to turn a pump on for 15 seconds and off for 30 seconds?

GEMINI:
Here's how to use the OSC command in Neptune's Apex controller to turn a pump on for 15 seconds and off for 30 seconds:

OSC Command:

OSC 000:15 / 000:30 / 000:30 THEN ON

Explanation:

OSC: Initiates the Oscillate command.
000:15: First time duration (ON time for the pump). In this case, 000:15 translates to 15 seconds (minutes:seconds).
/: Separates the on time from the first off time.
000:30: Second time duration (OFF time for the pump after the initial on cycle). This is 30 seconds.
/: Separates the first off time from the second off time. Notice how the second off time (30 seconds) is used again. This creates a repeating cycle of 15 seconds on, 30 seconds off, 30 seconds off (which is essentially the same as 15 seconds on, 60 seconds off).
THEN ON: This tells the Apex to turn the pump ON at the beginning of the oscillation cycle.

Additional Notes:

The Apex timer uses minutes and seconds as the time unit.
You can adjust the time values in the OSC command to achieve your desired on and off cycle durations for the pump.
Make sure to replace "000:XX" with your desired time durations in minutes and seconds (e.g., 001:00 for 1 minute on).

Alternative Method (if your Apex model supports it):

Some Apex models allow a simpler way to define on and off cycles using the "Advanced" pump control settings. You can explore your Apex model's specific options to see if there's a built-in way to define a repetitive on/off cycle for the pump.

As a safety precaution:

It's always a good idea to test your OSC program with a low power device (like an LED) before connecting it to your pump to ensure the timing is correct and doesn't malfunction.
Consult the Neptune Apex manual for your specific model for detailed instructions and safety guidelines.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
That's a very easy to understand explanation of OSC, thank you and Gemini! I'm just plain curious, could you explain how you are using this functionality with your pump?

radiata

NJRC Member
When I've got a left and a right powerhead on a tank I like to alternate the flows.
I've been using a 30 second timer which is a virtual outlet named 30SecTimer.
It looks like this:

Set OFF
OSC 000:30/000:30/000:00 Then ON

Then I program one pump like this

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Output 30SecTimer = OFF Then OFF
If Output 30SecTimer = ON Then ON

And then I program the opposite pump with the reversed logic.

In this particular case, the pump was a little too strong for the tank, so I wanted it to run
on for 15 seconds and then off for 30 seconds.

Gemini is a little verbose and likes to give you caveats almost no matter what you
ask of it.