• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What you guys do with red cyano

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Hey guys i got this god **** demon again … red cyano on my sand bed and rocks battling it with water changes and siphons doesn’t work…
Phosphates are like zero
Nitrates same thing been dosing nitrates but hasn’t helped …
About to hit it with the meds
What you guys think i should do

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have used Chemiclean in the past and it worked well for me with no side effects.

snowxcross

NJRC Member
Sup Nightmare...

I dont battle it, but have in the past. Sure you can run some chemiclean and be done with it, but the problem is what you described above, you're reading zero's. I'm assuming your Nitrates are close to zero as well. I would stop doing water changes, you could have silicates in there that's feeding the cyano. Kick up the flow to get the stuff moving in your water column. Run your skimmer open 24/7. Lastly dose some healthy bacteria - i like Dr. Tims waste away gel sticks (easy set and forget), Microbacter 7 does the same thing. If you can get a conch snail to churn up the sand bed that would be good too. I know plenty of folks doing chemiclean as monthly maintenance, has other benefits.

Best,
Artie

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I agree, nutrients are low. U used posvan to remove phos and silicate. I alis siphoned my sand bed. Get sand sifter goby, hermit crabs or conch to keep sand stirred