• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

WTF is with FB Marketplace? Is it now just an idiot hang out?

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So Sunday night I listed a few kayaks for sale, including a pretty much brand new Vibe Yellowfin 120 with a load of upgrades.
This kayak retails at about $1,100 and I've got an additional $400 or so sunk into the upgrades.

The Title of the post is:
'Vibe Yellowfin 120 (mint condition)'

The listing reads clearly:
Local pickup.
$800 FIRM, cash (retails for $1,300+)
I will NOT RESPOND to 'Is this available?'
If it is listed, it is available.

Here's what I woke up to this morning, each line is a different post:

How much were you looking for?

Hi, is this available?

Hello, is this still available?

I'll give you $250.

Looking for a boat like this but I'm in CT, can we meet by the Delaware Water Gap?

What model is it?

How much is it?

$200 and I'll be there in an hour.
I'm going to try this one out at the Tesla dealership.

I know it's far but can you deliver to NYC?

Is this available?

Im interested but I only have $300.

Hi, is this still available?

If you can hold it until my truck gets out of the shop I can give you $400

Hi, is this available?

These are 14 of the 20 messages I woke up to.
Is this normal nowadays? I'd think I'd rather trash stuff than deal with these people.

Last edited:

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I agree it's out of hand and you're right, if it's something I won't get a lot for I'd rather donate or trash before listing it on marketplace. If significant value (like yours is) I think I'd just weed out the spam. Good luck with the sale!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Most of it is spam. I tried selling a tank and stand few years ago and what a nightmare. even was a legit person low ball, can you deliver, etc. I trashed it as I was only asking $100 for stand, tank and light.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
The best is when you listen something for 100 and they say they will venmo you 300 but their sister will pick it up, then you just need to send your venmo info. They are scamming to try to hack your venmo

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
The best is when you listen something for 100 and they say they will venmo you 300 but their sister will pick it up, then you just need to send your venmo info. They are scamming to try to hack your venmo
This is why i specify pickup and cash only. They will still try that scam but I just reply back read the listing in its entirety. If they keep badgering me I report and block them.

FB market place is awful anymore. With buyers and sellers.
There is a guy in there that is selling "high end zoas". I messaged him I was interested in both packs he had. 3x the guy blew me off. Then he messaged me about buying 2 items I was selling. Told him I would trade him for the zoas I was trying to buy from him. He said okay, haven't heard back again.

And last week I was trying to buy a piece of furniture a lady was selling from Restoration Hardware. Took 3 days to respond and then she wanted me to venmo her the money first lol.

There is some really crappy people out there

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
I just hate all the spam and add bs they allow I’m searching for plexiglass one time and you get cars boats sh** even airplanes the filters don’t work at all just a total waste of time at this point

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I just hate all the spam and add bs they allow I’m searching for plexiglass one time and you get cars boats sh** even airplanes the filters don’t work at all just a total waste of time at this point
Even the distance doesn't work I put a radius of 20 miles and listings from PA popped up.

erics210

NJRC Member
My favorite was LetGo

Zero garbage offers, quick sales!

They sold out to Offer Up!
And back to the same BS as every other site.

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I sold 6 items a few months ago on Craigslist. They all sold within days of posting and no BS at all. They were all tools though. Not fish related.