• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae

I was at the beach and collected some algae, is it safe to put it on my sump?
Can I give it to my tang?
45c31f1961f20b5da985ed103028d355.jpg

Sent from my LGLS751 using Tapatalk

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I was temped to do this once but then someone told me that the shore line acts like the skimmer for the ocean. Also with all the junk dumped into our waters I didn't want to risk putting junk into my tank. I heard if you collect stuff a couple miles off shore then you would be safer. I have no first hand experience with this I just didn't want to risk my tank.

I was temped to do this once but then someone told me that the shore line acts like the skimmer for the ocean. Also with all the junk dumped into our waters I didn't want to risk putting junk into my tank. I heard if you collect stuff a couple miles off shore then you would be safer. I have no first hand experience with this I just didn't want to risk my tank.
Ok, being that it is not that much I put it in my sump, gave some to my tang and he loves it.....if it grows I'll give it to him to keep control on it.
Thanks.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Just collect it and throw it in your tank. Your tangs will love you for it. That nonsense about collecting water and stuff far offshore is ridiculous.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The only thing around the beach i would be worried about collecting is the sand, other than that it shouldn't make a difference. I was always curious about picking up some inverts and such around the beach, not sure if they would adjust to a hotter reef tank though.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Thanks Paul. Was going to boil it first so I get any unwelcome things in my tank.

:eek: Don't boil anything. Remember, your fish came from the sea, and they probably came from a place where the water was much dirtier than where you collected that seaweed.
I have been collecting things for my reef since it was started many moons ago. No problems yet.
Here is a video of some of the stuff I put in my tank. You need to turn up the sound as it was taken with an underwater camera.

Another video

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Just collect it and throw it in your tank. Your tangs will love you for it. That nonsense about collecting water and stuff far offshore is ridiculous.
So in your opinion the stuff we find amoung the shoreline is safe to put in our tanks? What are your thoughts on the junk that washes up among the seaweed and all? Don't take my questions as not believing you or attacking you. I just don't know so I'm trying to learn

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
:eek: Don't boil anything. Remember, your fish came from the sea, and they probably came from a place where the water was much dirtier than where you collected that seaweed.
I have been collecting things for my reef since it was started many moons ago. No problems yet.
Here is a video of some of the stuff I put in my tank. You need to turn up the sound as it was taken with an underwater camera.

Another video
Nice video

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I was always curious about picking up some inverts and such around the beach, not sure if they would adjust to a hotter reef tank though.

We go down by the Manasquan inlet a lot and theres a ton of snails hiding under rocks. Never added them to my tank as I was informed in the past that the cold water snails wouldn't survive in there.
Unsure if its true, but it seems valid enough.
Maybe next time I'm down there I'll try with 1.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Remember, if you are the type of person that quarantines everything, you can't put stuff from the sea in your tank because your fish don't have much of a functioning immune system. You can't quarantine that stuff. You need to be running a natural tank to add all that stuff. There are different ways to run your tank and you really can't mix the two systems.

Remember, if you are the type of person that quarantines everything, you can't put stuff from the sea in your tank because your fish don't have much of a functioning immune system. You can't quarantine that stuff. You need to be running a natural tank to add all that stuff. There are different ways to run your tank and you really can't mix the two systems.
Got it, thanks a lot again Paul.