• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New new 40 breed

The shrimp and goby found each other. I acclimated them together and tried to introduce them together, but they bolted into separate dugouts. I just took a look and the shrimp and goby are back together where the shrimp initially went.

That is an iteresting product. Not a bad price, when compared to reef purpose epoxy. I would have been better off securing my rock work for sure. I felt like they were pretty stable. I still don’t think there going anywhere, but in hind sight, when they were dry, I should have done that. I’ll try not to be careless enough to dislodge them. Eventually sponges & encrusting organisms will kind of fuse them all together, but that will take years. The powerheads are jabao pp-4. They are are turned all the way down, and they are moving some water. I don’t foresee ever needing to turn them up, but they have more power in reserve

Tank stocking so far:
1 colony of green star polyp from my old tank.
2 clowns, 1 shrimp and goby pair, 1 neon Dottiback. Those are the fish from my old tank.
2 Banggai Cardinals that are new additions. I’m hoping they are male & female, but at there size, can’t tell.
I’ll Probably be looking for 1 or 2 not fish down the line. Maybe a just a green chromis, or 2. There suppose to be pretty hearty and lively.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
The Chromis are. Most people experience them picking each other off, I haven't so far. But my tank has a bunch of them, along with 10 of two different anthias in there. There is a lot of distractions to help keep this kind of issue down...

Ok. Here is 2 a couple of pics. This tank is only 14 day old. From dry rock. It cycled in 12 days, and I haven’t even done a water change yet. I still have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 40 nitrate, and 0.5 phosphates. Ph of 8.0.

Attachments

• AC4AB89B-634E-4A32-BDA6-0978C4D45A77.jpeg
    AC4AB89B-634E-4A32-BDA6-0978C4D45A77.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 3C3E796A-B3D4-44E0-9B09-9F6E93066201.jpeg
    3C3E796A-B3D4-44E0-9B09-9F6E93066201.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
Equipment update: Swapping out the reef octopus 1000sss, for a 110sss. The protien skimmer is too big. The 110 will be a better fit. The top clearance makes it difficult to Remove/install the collection cup, and the diameter makes it inconvenient to work on my filter sock. The 110 is on order. The 1000 will remain in operation until it arrives, on Monday.

Banggai cardinals that I bought a couple days ago, kept spitting out rods reef food. I was looking at pics of the species on the internet, and realized mine are too skinny. Tried garlic last few days, but that didn’t work. Ran out and grabbed some live black worms. They gobbled them up, and there bellies are no longer sunk in.

Hey David I noticed that sometimes our cardinals get picky too, they seem to like smaller sized foods like pellets.. easy to gulp down haha

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I personally hate Rods Foods as its on the more "messy" side for my taste. There's too much inconsistencies with the food sizes and I've noticed alot of empty shrimp shells in it.

Try reef nutrition arctic pods.

It’s disigned to be that way because it’s not fish food, it’s reef food. It’s made to feed fish and corral as well, so the fine particle are for corals. It is not the cleanest food for that reason. There are a lot of empty shrimp shells. I’ll give that artic pod stuff a try for sure.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
for me, it was the huge chunks of krill in the mix. I have small fish and when I tried it, I saw them "gumming" it in an effort to make the food more mangable. I'm also referring to the original blend which is for both fish and corals. I know @Philadelphia Aquatics also uses Rods for thier livestock.

You can also try Larry's if you can find it. I know absolutely fish in Clifton carries it

That use to happen to my clowns. When they were smaller, and still sometimes with my male clown. My other fish are big mouths and don’t have an issue. When I see a big chunk of meat in there, I pull it out and cut it down. Im going to to try something else next time around. I’ll do alittle research and try some different things.

I’m feel I’m pretty close to fully stocked with fish, for a 40 gallon. 2 clowns, 2 cardinals, 1 neon dottyback, 1 watchman goby and 1 brand new firefish. Will start to add corral soon.

Breaking in the new skimmer. Plenty of room to facilitate maintenance on the filter sock. The larger reef octopus that i removed, made it difficult. Before and after pics are attached.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 2122C418-D1B0-4695-BC4E-2D3A03471859.jpeg
    2122C418-D1B0-4695-BC4E-2D3A03471859.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
When I took down my old tank, I found a few frag disc that got dragged under the rocks by the pistol shrimp. I put them up in the light in my new tank to see what happens. Not expecting much, theyd been buried for months or years. So far I have seen small zoa head on 1 disc, and most surprisingly an acro. The skeleton actually has a few live polyps, & starting to color up. I thought I was imagining things, but every day it shows a little more signs of recovery.

Picked up a few corals from Ocean Image Aquatics yesterday. He has nice stuff there. 1 Lobophyllia, 3 chalice frags, and a candy cane frag. Everything looks good so far.