• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
Just now I threw in (after a little acclimation) a hippo tang and a coral. He is just starting to come out and play with the other fish. There is plenty of algae on the back glass to nibble on. Hopefully he will live 15 years and hopefully, I will too. :cool:

Paul B

NJRC Member
I just remembered a story and the rare times I remember something I want to post them. I know I posted this on here probably near the beginning of last century so if you heard it go and watch "Naked and Afraid".
I think tonight they are hunting newts with spears.

I was in Kings Cross in Sydney Australia on R&R from Nam in 1970 and I just got off the plane. I went on a double decker bus (which I had never seen before) and I went to the top and looked out the front window. I turned around and saw that there were mainly girls on the bus (in those days everyone was in the war) They all had mini skirts on which was new to me because I just spent 10 months in the jungle and when I got drafted not many girls wore them. All I saw in those ten months was monkeys, and some of them were starting to look good. Anyway, that doesn't matter. Well, to me it did. I saw this pretty girl in the front of the bus and she smiled so I sat down next to her. I would have sat next to her even if she threw a flounder and tire iron at me, but whatever. :p
She is for another story (which I also posted on here someplace. ) Anyway she gave me directions to my hotel even though I had a map. I was on this busy intersection trying to figure out where I was and these two guys older come up to me. One guy says something to me that sounded like "Hey Chap, woud, you % mind if & yu heped, guy $ street ##. Or something like that. I said "What!? He said it again a little slower. I could barely make out that he wanted me to help this blind guy across the street. (You Aussies speak funny) So I took the guys arm and I am standing there waiting for the light to turn green.

After a while I noticed that there was no light. No YIELD, no STOP, no CAUTION, no NOTHING. The cars were zooming all over the place with no spaces in between for me to cross, especially with a blind guy. :confused:

So the guy mutters to me, "Whats the matter Chap?" I said, How do you cross the street? Now I come from New York so I know what traffic looks like, but here we have traffic lights and everything.
He said "Oh No Problem Chap" and he lifts his cane and drags me into the street. I covered my eyes and got ready to scream in pain as we walked. I opened my eyes and noticed that the cars were going around us, on the sidewalk, in front and in back of us. They didn't slow down, they just kind of barely missed us. :eek:

We make it to the other side and the guy thanks me and walks off. Now I take out my map to see where I am.

Another blind guy comes over to me and he wants me to cross him back across the street. The same thing happens and now I am on the wrong side of the street looking for a blind guy to get be back to the other side.

There was a "Lighthouse" blind people school, or social club on the corner so everyone, but me was blind.
You can't make this stuff up. :)

Paul B

NJRC Member
I have a problem with flatworms. There are so many flatworms that they are laying on top of each other and the bottom ones don't like that. That is not my problem. In some places they are so thick that I can't see the gravel. That is also not the problem.
The problem is that I like to name things and I am running out of names. :rolleyes:

Paul B

NJRC Member
I need to cut back on this sponge and throw a bunch of it out. (unless anyone wants it)
It grows rather fast but it is easy to cut. I lie a lot of sponges because they eat microscope particles (and parasites I would imagine) and they keep the water very clear. I just need to watch it because it takes up spaces where I would rather grow corals.

I also notice my new, small hippo tang just started to swim around and not be afraid of anything has a white patch on his black stripe. I didn't look at him when I bought him out of a tank of a bunch of them. I just told the guy to catch one. I think it s a type of fungus but I am almost 100% sure it will heal on it's own with no help from me.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Just bring one bottle, I have so much wine that I can't close the door on my wine cabinets, or my wine closet, or my wine chiller. :confused:
Just drive east and bear right at the Statue of Liberty. I'll keep the lights on. :D

Paul B

NJRC Member
I collected water today as it was 70 degrees. The air, not the water which is probably about 40. I tested the alk and it is 5. No wonder my tank is so low. My calcium kit doesn't really work as I can't get the reagents out of the bottle. :rolleyes:

The salinity is also good for catfish so I had to add a lot of salt. I had to diatom filter it as it was a nice shade of green. Now it looks like gin and after I warm it up, I will dump it in. :D

Paul B

NJRC Member
After a week in my tank my new little Hippo Tang lost that white fungus or whatever it was, spot on his black stripe. I just took this picture.

This is when I bought him a week ago.

I don’t have access to natural see water, or mud, but I use many of your practices. If I ever start another tank, I will probably go with a reverse undegravel filter. Can’t argue with your results. I do have a local store that sells live black worms though. If I’m ever in you’re area, I’ll take you up on the white worm culture.

Last edited: