• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
I was looking for Patriotic songs to play today at our Fourth of July party with the neighbors in front of my house and I came across this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msYPbjFC50w

It is not really a Fourth of July song but I keep watching it and I can't stop crying. Mostly Veterans will get this. Millennials may not get it as much. But I hope they do.
Happy Fourth of July and Happy Birthday America.

I was looking for Patriotic songs to play today at our Fourth of July party with the neighbors in front of my house and I came across this

It is not really a Fourth of July song but I keep watching it and I can't stop crying. Mostly Veterans will get this. Millennials may not get it as much. But I hope they do.
Back at you Paul. And thank you for your service. It’s appreciated more than you know

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
That is a beautiful song. It brought tears to my eyes. Thank you to all who have served

Paul B

NJRC Member
We had a great Fourth. And I hope everyone else did also. We had a big party in our driveway and invited all the neighbors. :D

I did my "fireworks" that I make every year myself out of steel wool. :D

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club

Thank you for this. US Navy Vet '93-'99 (SSN756 USS Scranton)

Paul B

NJRC Member
My wife is always nagging me to trim my eyebrows. When you get to a certain age, I guess gravity prevents your hair from growing on the top of your head. It can't quite make it there so it grows out of your nose, ears and your eyebrows. So I have this thing that I use to buzz my hair (it doesn't have to work very hard) and there is an attachment for leaving the hair longer. I was to lazy to change the attachment on it so I used it on my eyebrow.
Big mistake. It's a good thing I only trimmed half of one eyebrow because I buzzed it right off and now I could audition for the Twilight Zone as I look like a big Jiboni. :eek:

Anyway, that reminds me of a story.
I used to work with a guy named Mike. Wait a minute, that's his real name so I will call him Guy to protect his identity.
He looked just like this old time comedian named Jerry Colona.

I mean exactly like him. So I told him and he said he never heard of him.
The next day he comes in with a picture of Jerry Colona with his arm around his "Mother".

He said, what a coincidence, my Mother told me she was "good" friends with Jerry Colona.

I said, And you brought in a picture to show me! He said, yeah, whats wrong.
I said oh Nothing.

You can't make this stuff up, but he doesn't look anything like his "Father". Just saying :rolleyes:

Jerry Colonna (entertainer) - Wikipedia

Paul B

NJRC Member
I acquired this Steamer trunk from the 1890s (about the same year I was born) ans I am restoring it. I completely took it apart and it has over 400 nails in it. The nails are to long and in these trunks they hammered in the nails with a steel weight on the other side so the nails would get bent inside the wood. It is very strong in spite of the thin pine it is built out of.
I ordered new canvas from the period as well as the handles but I will use all the existing steel, and there is a lot of it.

I will also line the inside with cedar but I am not sure what my wife wants to put in there. Probably me. :eek:
These trunks held everything people owned when they came here from Europe and were quite common. Sort of like Tangs. :D

Paul B

NJRC Member
I do. It has a photograph on the inside of the lid of a Lady from that time period. Unfortunately I can't save it as it is deteriorating . I have a few pictures of ladies that were on the Titanic and I will use one of those to replace it.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I just got back from bike riding and have to say, the roads here in farm/sea/ wine country are loaded with wildlife. About a mile or less away we have a horse rescue farm that takes horses that were either abused or are sick or near the end of their life and allows them to live out their days in relative "Horse Paradise". As I approach them the first thing you smell is "wet horse". I was born in Brooklyn, grew up in Queens and didn't get much of that aroma.
There is also a Miniature rescue horse farm where the horses were either pets or in petting zoos.
We also have a Buffalo "ranch". No, really, this guy keeps a few hundred head of buffalo, the rest of the buffalo are attached to the heads.
North Quarter Farm - Buffalo
There is a some kind of farm I pass right near my house and the amount of life in there boggles my mind and there isn't a lot of space to boggle. We have deer up the Kazoo, all the way up. Birds, forgetaboutit. Bluejays, red wing blackbirds, ospreys, swans, geese, egrets, Quail, ducks, chickens, turkeys (which are as big as Emu's) Humming birds and birds that know the words, Cardinals and I think I saw a Pope.
Rabbits are like, well, rabbits, foxes (no, I am not talking about the Lady's, they don't get up at that time).
And bugs, I have never seen this many types of bugs since I was in Viet Nam. Of course in Viet Nam the bugs were bigger and would carry you home to feed their nephews.
I know a lot of people on here live in farm country and this is normal to you. It is relatively new to me.
On the way to my Grand Daughters we encountered this little Fella walking across the road.

I love turtles and stopped to make sure he wouldn't become turtle sushi. He wasn't walking fast enough for me so I helped him across the street.
I have been encountering a lot of turtles lately and some people here call me "Turtle Man" which I kind of like.
I am taking out the "Girls" today for Girls Night out and have to get to the boat to make sure it is in great shape and light all the girly smelling candles.
Still cleaning up from the Fourth of July, but almost done.
My Main Squeeze looks good.

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
That's awesome! I was born and raised in WV and live well into NJ farmland now. We regularly see large flocks of turkey, foxes, rabbits, a Blue Heron that has a liking for my freshwater pond :(, turtles, deer live on our property and we have fairly regular bear sightings. So much so that there was one walking down our driveway when the vendor from Canada was in our trailer repairing our new tank. Luckily I saw it and warned him. Lol. Not much to fear from the bear, they are pretty docile, but like you I don't think it was something he was used to seeing. Great story!

That's awesome! I was born and raised in WV and live well into NJ farmland now. We regularly see large flocks of turkey, foxes, rabbits, a Blue Heron that has a liking for my freshwater pond :(, turtles, deer live on our property and we have fairly regular bear sightings. So much so that there was one walking down our driveway when the vendor from Canada was in our trailer repairing our new tank. Luckily I saw it and warned him. Lol. Not much to fear from the bear, they are pretty docile, but like you I don't think it was something he was used to seeing. Great story!
West Virginia you say. I knows it’s a fairly sizable state. But we have a place in Romney. Where you Anywhere near there?