• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone good with netwroking?

motortrendz

NJRC Member
So I've been trying to set up a new computer router and all that fun stuff. And Im having nothing but problems. I was wondering if there's any guys out there that can set up my home network get everything connected and running optimally. Obviously I'll take care of the cost. I can fix any car problem I've come across in 30 years. But computer stuff I just lose my mind. Lol.

Rueric

NJRC Member
I work in IT, i can probably help walk you through it.
What is your service provider? Comcast, Verizon?
What network router are you trying to use?
Describe the issue you're seeing

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I also work in IT but mainly now on QA and Risk side. been a longtime since I touched network stuff. But as already stated what is the problem you're having? I am at exit 89 and might be able to swing by.

motortrendz

NJRC Member
So.i bought a new router and extender. The modem won't recognize it. And on the old router everything works wirelessly, but when I plug in the new desktop with the ethernet it won't connect (it doesn't have wirless) I'm pulling my hair out lol

motortrendz

NJRC Member
I have Comcast. If that makes a difference. The modem is a netgear. Not a rental unit. The router is also netgear. But I bought a tplink 6to get gigabit speeds. I'm trying to set up a dedicated desktop for trading.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
call comcast with mac address of router first.might need to hard wire with cat 5 . then install wireless . my experience extenders did not work .try to move router to a middle ground center of house.

motortrendz

NJRC Member
I have it hardwired. I don't want it wireless. It was a brand new custom build. No wifi just a cat 8 plugged into the back and then right into the modem. But I keep getting a gateway error. All my other stuff works. So I don't know lol

Rueric

NJRC Member
You need to verify where the link is broken..

From the modem, connect the cable directly to your computer. Does it work?
If it works, great, connect the modem to the router, take another cord and test to see if the connect from the router works.

if it doesn't work, you may need to do a hard reset on your router.. usually accomplished by long pressing some buttons on the device

motortrendz

NJRC Member
I plugged the computer into the router no go, modem directly no go. Reset everything, no go. Everything that is hooked up wirelessly works fine. So I don't know if it's a setting in the new computer. My modem is the netgear nighthawk cm1150v, the current router is the netgear nighthawk ac2300. I bought a tplink router but I didn't even hook it up yet. Computer is wired directly to the the existing modem with a new cat8 cable.

motortrendz

NJRC Member
So i plugged my wife's laptop into the cable. And I get the same no acees response on her computer. And I noticed that the port light to whichever port i plug i to stays orange and doesn't turn green. Could it be the cable? Ir is there some setting I'm missing?

Rueric

NJRC Member
If plugging the computer directly in the modem doesn’t work, then that’s likely your first step you need to resolve first.

You say the tplink WiFi works. Can you explain how that is connected?

P.s. pictures worth a 1000 words

motortrendz

NJRC Member
If plugging the computer directly in the modem doesn’t work, then that’s likely your first step you need to resolve first.

The tp link is not hooked up yet. It's till the netgear nighthawk stuff. That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm not good at this stuff so the mechanic in my can break down where the issue is but I don't know how to resolve it. I believe it's in the modem for some reason. The ethernet ports aren't connecting but the wifi does. When troublehhooting the acess it says "ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration. The modem pictured is the modem is have running

Attachments

• 17271365832985805455597115290950.jpg
    17271365832985805455597115290950.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 17271366126897378604804863307787.jpg
    17271366126897378604804863307787.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240923_192919_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240923_192919_Chrome.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 5

motortrendz

NJRC Member

The tp link is not hooked up yet. It's till the netgear nighthawk stuff. That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm not good at this stuff so the mechanic in my can break down where the issue is but I don't know how to resolve it. I believe it's in the modem for some reason. The ethernet ports aren't connecting but the wifi does. When troublehhooting the acess it says "ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240923_192919_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240923_192919_Chrome.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 0