• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Building a custom glass sump - need advice

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Hello All

I know some of you have build your own sumps with glass tank and baffels.
Could you please share your experiences and results?

I am looking to do a custom sump with maybe a 75G tank.

Sunny

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
1. Decide the height of your baffles.....consider wash-back volume from the DT when the pumps are off.
2. Decide on the size of each section.....skimmer sized to fit....return section.....refugium.
3. Consider if you wish to add a sock.
4. Have the glass cut 1/16 less than the inside width of the tank.
5. At least 1 tube of GE Silicone I....buy two.
6. A bottle of Captain Morgan.

And you're ready to go....here's the one I siliconed up for Edwin....a 75 gallon:

EdwinsSump.jpg

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
1. Decide the height of your baffles.....consider wash-back volume from the DT when the pumps are off.
2. Decide on the size of each section.....skimmer sized to fit....return section.....refugium.
3. Consider if you wish to add a sock.
4. Have the glass cut 1/16 less than the inside width of the tank.
5. At least 1 tube of GE Silicone I....buy two.
6. A bottle of Captain Morgan.

And you're ready to go....here's the one I siliconed up for Edwin....a 75 gallon:

EdwinsSump.jpg

Holy cow. Paul you are too good.

So this job also is all yours. I want to so 18 X18 section for skimmer. 18 X 12 the return pump section. Rest will be space in middle. In middle I need to put sponge.

No filter sock. I guess we can order glass from spotswood glass works?

Sunny

Paul said it all. Only differences I went with is I did a Skimmer-Fuge-Return setup instead of return in the middle. Oh and I still refuse to use any silicone not labeled Aquarium silicone. It just to readily available to take a chance, IMO.

In fact i have a brand new tube of AGA silicone you can have when your ready.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
One more thing....you don't want that real thin window pane glass like you find at HD or Lowes. I would suggest a minimum of 3/16 inch glass (ca 5 mm).

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The sump Paul made looks great. I prefer the skimmer - fuge - return layout better like John was talking about... but this design works well too, especially if you have dual overflows and 2 lines coming into the sump.

The only suggestion I would make (no matter which version you use) is to have the 3 bubble trap baffles slightly wider apart. Mine are like 1/2" or 3/4" apart or something and it's very hard to find something to slide in there and clean them out. I would suggest at least 1" width between those 3 baffles to allow you to get an algae scraper or a brush or something to allow easy cleaning.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
The sump Paul made looks great. I prefer the skimmer - fuge - return layout better like John was talking about... but this design works well too, especially if you have dual overflows and 2 lines coming into the sump.

The only suggestion I would make (no matter which version you use) is to have the 3 bubble trap baffles slightly wider apart. Mine are like 1/2" or 3/4" apart or something and it's very hard to find something to slide in there and clean them out. I would suggest at least 1" width between those 3 baffles to allow you to get an algae scraper or a brush or something to allow easy cleaning.

Thanks George, wait till you see the design ;) :)

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
No problem Sunny. Also, if you want to see some really cool sump designs, check out Melev's Reef. Marc has been making them for years and he shows an example of all of his "Models" with the links on the left side. Granted, his are all acrylic, but the material shouldn't really matter. You might want to check those out before you make a final decision.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
No problem Sunny. Also, if you want to see some really cool sump designs, check out Melev's Reef. Marc has been making them for years and he shows an example of all of his "Models" with the links on the left side. Granted, his are all acrylic, but the material shouldn't really matter. You might want to check those out before you make a final decision.

Again, thanks George. This is a sump for FOWLR so I really am not being picky. I have to thank Paul for really putting his time and effort to make the design work.

Hi Red..I really appreciate your tank work its nice and superb looking design is specially amazing for me first time i see these type of design..What is the length and width of this tank?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi Red..I really appreciate your tank work its nice and superb looking design is specially amazing for me first time i see these type of design..What is the length and width of this tank?

It's a standard 75 gallon tank.....48" x 18" x 21"

Here's another 75 gallon sump that was recently finished:

9c1bb31b-fe84-42e6-9312-2f5a2fcfa8fd_zpsa3ae6e7f.jpg