• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Checked out new store today

I was in Reef Encounters (Hackensack) for the first time today. I was very impressed. Great selection of fish and supplies. Had a large number to snails, shrimp and crabs. Very friendly. Also, Pets Plus in paramus is starting a Reef business, setting up a very large Reef display. They got a guy from another store (the one on route 46, I forget the name...Absolute fish I think)

were is Pet plus located? Also, becareful with reef encounter. Most of the time there fish is not in great shape. Thay are cheaper then 46 but the fish and coral are much better in 46. Must of the reef encounter coral don't last long.

really, the fish looked great. I'll keep a open mind if I deal with them.

Pets Plus on on the southbound side of 17, just past Ridgewood ave exit. Just before the Paramus Park mall entrance.

Thanks

Do you mean Pet goods? Sometimes there fish are ok. But there corals are pretty much one of the wrost I have seen. After you go to Ocean gallery, 46, and fish town ( which has the best price on any fish ) they don't come close. I like route 4 aquaruim and absolutly fish. Ocean gallry is nice but to far for me.

Regards,
ZC

Yes, Pet Goods is building out the Reef section, they have a new guy working there from Absolute fish. I didnt know Fish town(ramsey right) had salt. Where is Ocean Gallery?

I hook up with some folks at route 4 - Lester is great. Thats where I got my rock from and they have done some setup work for me. Moved my pumps into the basement and will install my chiller.

There also is a place in Ridgefield, you guys had a monthly meeting at it a few months ago, I will check that out soon.

BlueBird,

Yes there is a place in Ridgeflied called seatopia It's a nice place. Jason Goes there. I in the past got some good deals on coral at petgoods but it was becuase the staff was to jr to know what they were selling. I got zoos there for $15 9 months ago. I do not like the fact that they still buy and keep them under low light with a bio wheel filter system loaded with NO4. I hope they get there act together becuase they are good on the Drygood side.

Ocean Gallery is on route 22. Fish town is located in Queens NY. Fiji rock for $4 a pound. Great stuff. Corals have good price and fish are cheap.

Regards,
ZC

I have been going to reef encounter for over 18 years, great people. You do need to watch the fish sometimes but overall they are healthy. Almost all of my fish are from them. As far as their corals, sps selection is almost non existent and pricey when available but when it comes to the lps and softies, I have kept many alive for alot of years. Lots of frags out there from stock I got from r-e. The tank prices are the best I have found. I paid half the amount absolute wanted for a 40 breeder and they even drilled it.

Eric...

Eric,

I agree on the tank price. They are the best in Jersey. I got my 65 gallon from them. SPS on the other hand I have only seen it there 3 times in the last two years I visit RE. Best part is that they have alot of good dry good stock available. I wish Mike would care about the Coral side. They also have so many new guys there that are not knowledgeable. They do have LPS that are great but not alot. I got my Tourch from them for 75 and saw a better peace in 46 the week after for the same price. They should match the name to the store. Lots of SW fish but corals are not great. True reef store should look like 46. As much as I do not like the prices in 46, RE should have a section like that. Notice there is no CA reactors or specail filters for the to large coral tanks. Perphaps they would upgrade if they new we are willing to buy. I in the past I have spoken to Mike (owner) and he said that coral demand is low and that is why he would only buy good peaces if someone special order it. Maybe Some one here should talk to them.

Regards,
ZC

I will stop by there this weekend and talk to mike. After 18 years I do get along with mike quite well. Maybe if I tell him what other folks are interested in he will stock more.

Eric...

Eric,

Please do. RE has tons of potential. I wish he new about NJRC. Perphaps he might change the system before stocking it with acro.
I think you should ask Bobcreef to see him.

Regards,
ZC

I did notice the lack of coral. Let him know that folks are wanting coral. They are so close to me. Maybe if they set up a coral tank other people would get interested.

I didn't get there over the weekend to talk to mike but I will try to go tomorrow afternoon. It is very local to me, I am only 10 minutes away.

Eric...

I have been there a couple times, unfortunately Mike has not been there when I was. I need to go this weekend or early next week, I'll keep trying....

Eric...