• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Thinking of calling it quits

Count me in. Paul, all I can say is be PATIENT! You just hooked up the new reactor a month ago. It takes time for the benefits of that to be visible. In addition establishing a great system takes time and patience. You will get there...

Thanks guys. In the mean time I am going to stop with the heavy feeding. I might place an order for some new test kits. Is Hanna the way to go? I have salfert for my ALK and Mag. The rest are cheap API ones.

Forgive me for I'm new here, but how long has the tank been set up? Is it a mostly softie, mostly lps, softie lps with just a couple of sps, mixed reef? I know we all follow a compatibility chart to see what fish can go with what fish but sometime we overlook what corals can go with other corals. I have read and seen that a lot of times some sps do not mix well with certain softies and lps. This could just be a case of finding the corals that blend well with each other. One other thought is stray voltage, I had a heater sort of short out and the only reason I went looking for something was my anemone was looking bad.

Mostly SPS with some zoos and acans. Don't think I have any stray voltage but I will check that tonight.

you think it might be a problem with flow? i got cyano alot when I didn't have enough flow over my sand and tank.

The cyano just started when I have been feeding heavy and dosing phyto. I would think the two MP40's would be enough.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul, I think you have answered yourself about the cyano but we have all had our ups and downs at some time with this hobby.. Having a Tank not doing to good is better then a tank crash and losing everything.. with a tank that is not doing good you have a good chance to bring it up to par.. SPS are a pita to keep.. in fact mine ain't doing to good right now either.. so as of right now I'm going to hold off on SPS and concentrate on my LPS and softies and not drive myself nuts.. not like I have to drive far anyway :)

I think I am going the lps and softy route as well. I am going to try to pick some up at the swap. I think it will take alot of the stress off. Or I could always pick up fake coral lol.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think I am going the lps and softy route as well. I am going to try to pick some up at the swap. I think it will take alot of the stress off. Or I could always pick up fake coral lol.
Glad you are taking that route and not giving up :)

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR

Paul, I was going to suggest exactly that. It takes years of experience, patience and luck to have success with SPS. Go this route for now and once things get established, try your hand at SPS again.