• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

what type of inverts can be in the refugium?

malulu

NJRC Member
since the refugium may get *dirty* over time, what inverts can we keep in it?
- shrimp?
- snail?
- hermit crab?
- emeral crab?
- fish??

thx

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have a pin cushin urchin, snails and small mollie. Some where in there is a pistol shrimp but haven't seen in it for awile.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a few turbos and hermits. No fish, though. That kind of takes the "Refuge" out of refugium.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
John,
I know what you're saying about the fish in the fuge. I have it because a close friend bought a pair of fish called saltwater mollies. A grouper ate 1 so I took the other as I had a fish only tank at the time. The molly was a female and gave birth. This is the only surviving baby the female died during my tank upgrade. My son won't let me put it in DT as he's afraid the other fish will kill it.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Can you move it to the sump? That's my "time out" tank. Any bad community citizens or other misfits wind up in our sump. Last year we went fishing with MikeM. When my daughter found out that the live killies were going to be used as bait she said absolutely not! They all wound up in the sump until their untimely demise (thanks to the previously mentioned bad community citizens).

{sorry to go off topic!}

malulu

NJRC Member
will the shrimp or crab be able to consume those pods in the refugium? or they are too slow for those fast pods?