• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

epic fail!

So i finally finished the stand for my 55 gallon tank go to fill it up with water and its leaking up around black plastic trim on bottom. I must have messed it up moving it :( FAIL!!!!!

Sometimes leaks r pretty easy to fix. Just have to cut silicone out in area thats leaking along with an inch or 2 on each side , then reseal it. GE #1 clear silicone for window and doors works great. Or if u dont need much just get the aga stuff from petco

howze01

NJRC Member
On the other hand, 55g tanks are pretty cheap or easy to come by used. Maybe this is a good chance to start fresh with any ideas you had before? Maybe drilling for an overflow?

yea I may attempt at resealing my self. its the entire bottom piece that needs to be replaced. I'm going to a storage auction tomorrow that has 110gallon tank and stand hopefully I can pick it up cheap

i was expecting some video of someone doing something dumb - this isn't an epic fail - this is just plain unfortunate and I'm sorry to hear it. If it makes you feel any better I did the same thing once...moved a 55 gallon tank from the first floor down the basement and then suddenly noticed a leak. The good news though is that 55 gallons are not terribly expensive.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
I believe PetCo runs the sale twice a year and it just ran through the end of January. You'd probably need to wait 4-5 months and I think a 40b was the largest I saw but I was only in 3 stores and all in the last few days of the sale

Well today I started scraping the old silicon off and picked up a tube of the GE silicon 1 like suggested. I will post pics of my progress and resealing tomorrow when its all done.

well I spent almost two days scraping and prepping the tank. Used a ton of silicon on it hopefully all the seals hold up when I test fill tomorrow.

falconut

NJRC Member
I think the normal recommendation is to give it a few days to cure. Id give it a few days before I tested it.

Yeah, I recently used the aquarium silicone to seal a leaking sump and the directions said let dry for 48 hours. So, I'd wait another day before filling it.

OK so far so good! holding water for a couple hours:applause:.gonna start filling wit ro/di water. Anybody know of a store that sells the tubing for an ro unit. Dont feel like carying 5 gallon buckets across the house lol