• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Good Dry Rock to Use?

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Hello all,

As some of you know I got dealt the short straw and my live rock I purchased was LOADED with antipasta so I have to restart.

KIf0SnU.jpg

I am not going with live rock again to avoid that from happening. I'd rather purchase from a reputable company / website rather a local LFS that maybe took someone's invested rock dipped it for a day and is reselling it.

I am looking at this - I have heard FIJI is great rock.

Let me know your thoughts? I have a 15% off coupon that works as well so it seems to be a really good deal!

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I used the aquamaxx eco dry rock. $65 for 25 lbs and have had good luck with it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Have you used any other rock to compare ? How long did it take to become live? Did you add bacteria? Got any pics of it currently ?

I'd mentioned I was starting a tank too in your other post. And honestly, I've been using old rocks. Some from the tank breakdown I purchased, some from a friend's old stock. It had worms, aptasia, vermitids.. you name it.

Cheaper than buying new.. everything just went into a container, vinegar, water and powerhead for a few days. Then rinse and soak with just water for a few. Then bleach and water.. final rinse and sun dry.. and the rocks all came out fresh and clean. If you like the ones you have, not a bad option. Just takes time and elbow grease to get rid of the leftover vermitid skeletons.

20190326_094701.jpg

Here are some pics, I have a lot Fiji and shelf rock, most of the pukani is gone but still have some
a3d0b033993a8f3a637006631c92d8ae.jpg
646346dd84c4e2856832977288d9aa63.jpg
17ef921c5f5e937cdd85ccddbf6da89b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I'd mentioned I was starting a tank too in your other post. And honestly, I've been using old rocks. Some from the tank breakdown I purchased, some from a friend's old stock. It had worms, aptasia, vermitids.. you name it.

Cheaper than buying new.. everything just went into a container, vinegar, water and powerhead for a few days. Then rinse and soak with just water for a few. Then bleach and water.. final rinse and sun dry.. and the rocks all came out fresh and clean. If you like the ones you have, not a bad option. Just takes time and elbow grease to get rid of the leftover vermitid skeletons.

View attachment 22653
Wilson,

I will probably go ahead and do this with the current rock but In the intermediate i want to get my tank to cycle ! Than I can introduce a new rock and remove a rock if I like one better that cleans up

Wilson,

I will probably go ahead and do this with the current rock but In the intermediate i want to get my tank to cycle ! Than I can introduce a new rock and remove a rock if I like one better that cleans up

I've got my marine pure cycling in another tank of mine currently. They'll go into the sump and be used to seed the display rocks up top once I settle on the rockscape. That way I can take my time getting stuff into the DT.

I have definitely learned one big thing with Hallowhead’s unfortunate bout with aptaisia. I’m happy I went with man made rock. But I wish I started cycling it when I began the build. It just sat there for months until I was ready. My next tank I will definitely begin the cycle first.
Hallow. You can do what Wilson did. Pick up some marine pure and start cycling it ASAP when the rock you have is all cleaned up. Just put the marine pure in your sump and you will be way ahead of the game. Big advantage is the marine pure can stay in your sump and will do way more for your biological filtration then the rock will.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I have definitely learned one big thing with Hallowhead’s unfortunate bout with aptaisia. I’m happy I went with man made rock. But I wish I started cycling it when I began the build. It just sat there for months until I was ready. My next tank I will definitely begin the cycle first.
Hallow. You can do what Wilson did. Pick up some marine pure and start cycling it ASAP when the rock you have is all cleaned up. Just put the marine pure in your sump and you will be way ahead of the game. Big advantage is the marine pure can stay in your sump and will do way more for your biological filtration then the rock will.

I have marine pure in my tank currently obviously going to trash that as it's probably filled with antipasta

I personally think you might be over reacting if you throw out the sand and marine pure, aptasia does spread, but not that rapidly.. unless you scraped them off and let them drift into your overflow.. I don't know if it will have reached your marine pure.. but that's just me

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I personally think you might be over reacting if you throw out the sand and marine pure, aptasia does spread, but not that rapidly.. unless you scraped them off and let them drift into your overflow.. I don't know if it will have reached your marine pure.. but that's just me
Wilson, if I go through getting all new rock and don't clean sand etc etc and it comes back i'd never let it go that i was lazy.

Furthermore, I think that when I lemon squirted the big ones they exploded and went everywhere.

I understand, marine pure isn't cheap haha. I just got the few blocks too. Rather have all the biological filtration in the sump, nice clean DT

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I understand, marine pure isn't cheap haha. I just got the few blocks too. Rather have all the biological filtration in the sump, nice clean DT
28 bucks for 4 cubes - only need one cube for my tank

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ah, I got the large 4x4x8 blocks. For something that sits in the sump, not adding anything aesthetically haha, would rather spend that on corals.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
why the cubes and not the balls? Balls are cheaper I believe. I have the balls. The 2 Qt box has about 20 balls...$28.99

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
why the cubes and not the balls? Balls are cheaper I believe. I have the balls. The 2 Qt box has about 20 balls...$28.99
It was what the store had at the time and convenience

Can I simply put the new cube in a five gallon bucket with salt water and a powerhesd to begin getting bacteria ? Or

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk