• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New to this

The Blue Tang (Dory)...
I really like the blue tang but have concerns about its eventual size. I have done my internet research and I see people recommending anywhere from 100 to 150 gallons as the minimum tank size. But I have a question about these numbers. Our DT is 112 gallons. However it is five feet wide. I say this because I see many 120s that are only four feet wide. How much does dimension play into the equation? If my tank is to small that’s fine. It just seems if I was a fish. I’d rather be in a five foot 112 then a four foot 120. I’m not looking to “get away” with some sort of loop hole to get my way. I want a happy fish. Please chime in and give me your honest opinions.

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
With Tangs in general it is all about tank length, not so much the water volume. They are extremely active swimmers. A five foot tank is pushing it with a Blue Hippo IMHO. Typically recommended at least 6 ft for that species. If your heart is set on it, get a juvenile (assuming no other tangs in your system?). By the time it gets too big you may have upgraded. You can also cheat a little by increasing your flow. This allows the fish to swim against the flow (tangs love to play in flow) giving the illusion of additional swim space. Just have to ensure the added flow won't harm current livestock. The Bristlestooths, like my Tomini, would be a safer bet with that sized system. Hope that helps.

deepblue68

POTM Winner
mat
they stress easy when they start to feel crowded and get very aggressive. mine use to boss around triggers a bit smaller then him.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mrs. Sponge was just in Florida supporting a family member after an unfortunate event. With that said. She realized while down there she was extremely close to World Wide Corals so she decided to go over and check it out. In short she said it was amazing. Everything you would expect a top notch reef shop should be. Clean. Neat. Orderly and spectacular coral. She saw something she liked that wasn’t in the frag tanks (it was in one of the main displays). So without hesitation. Someone got a chisel and chopped it out. NOW THATS WHAT I CALL ONE HECK OF A SHOP. Anyway. Just felt you all should know. I realize they are not the cheapest place on the planet. But it is a spectacular shop.

Ummmm.... yeah.. now I'm intrigued, what did she pick up? pics! Pics! Let us see your new baby. [emoji846]

Hahaha. After I posted I said to myself. Ut oh. No pic. I’m going to hear it lol. But I don’t exactly know. (Nothing oh my gosh or overly expensive). She just wanted to pick something because. Well... when will we ever be there again. She had them ship it. And I should receive it Saturday. As soon as whatever it is arrives and looks happy I’ll send a pic (I believe it may be a mushroom with blue speckles but I’m not positive. But that was one of the items she liked when we were on the phone.). Apparently, they have a lot more stuff in the shop than they post online. Not sure why.

Hahaha. After I posted I said to myself. Ut oh. No pic. I’m going to hear it lol. But I don’t exactly know. (Nothing oh my gosh or overly expensive). She just wanted to pick something because. Well... when will we ever be there again. She had them ship it. And I should receive it Saturday. As soon as whatever it is arrives and looks happy I’ll send a pic (I believe it may be a mushroom with blue speckles but I’m not positive. But that was one of the items she liked when we were on the phone.). Apparently, they have a lot more stuff in the shop than they post online. Not sure why.
Can't wait to see it. [emoji102]

Pretty sure this will be no big deal to 90 percent. But for those of you who are like me and appreciate any update on one of our systems (good or bad). I am happy to announce that we are now the proud poppa of a tiny bit of coralline algae. Not sure what that means. But to me... I look at it as a good sign. Happy reefing all :)