• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New to this

Time for small update and questions
We have been slowly moving frags over to DT and so far so good. No major problems and most things appear to be happy. Not dosing anything yet but am testing regularly to know when the little boys and girls start growing and consuming elements. Also most things that can or will eat, seem to appreciate broadcast and target feeding about every other day. With no up-tic in nitrates. Also the refugium is up and running (thanks Mark C for the chaeto) I need a much bigger light but waiting on a good deal. With that said, I am now seeing some sort of brownish bloom on the sand shortly after lights ramp up that goes away shortly after lights go off.
1. Should I do anything about this bloom like adjust photo period or let it ride since tank is very very young and still finding equilibrium?
2. Fish bio load is very low. (In my opinion). Two clowns. A couple of blennys. A cardinal. Hawk fish and a royal Gramma in 100 gal DT with 400 gal of SW. Are two tangs to many to add and if so. If I get one. Is there another utilitarian fish y’all recommend?
3. When the time arises I am leaning towards Kalkwasser. Any recommendations for/against and best practice... appreciated

DangerDave

NJRC Member
On the kalk, I found mixing and dosing to be a pain. It really helped my tank stability, so I moved to a stirrer. It’s a world of difference, cleaner and easier. You can use a timer or controller to manage the pump, and you’ll only have to refill it every few weeks or so.

Good luck!

On the kalk, I found mixing and dosing to be a pain. It really helped my tank stability, so I moved to a stirrer. It’s a world of difference, cleaner and easier. You can use a timer or controller to manage the pump, and you’ll only have to refill it every few weeks or so.

Good luck!
Thanks Dave. Very much appreciated. Great info.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Thats cuz you're using a Nikon DSLR.
Any flip-phone set on 'web' or '240' will upload like lightning!

very nice picture!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yea. The animal did all the work. I just pressed a button. But seriously it’s a beautiful little creature. I was hesitant to pick one up because it’s not Photosynthetic but couldn’t be happier that I did. Feeding is super simple plus all inhabitants benefit when I feed it.

Did you purchase it at RAP?
No. I got that at ACC. I was picking up some Brine shrimp and I had seen them little red sticks time and time again in a bin at the front of the store. But that particular day, that one had its polyps out and it was beautiful soooo I went home with shrimp and a gorgonian. I hate when I impulse buy. But in this case I’m glad I did. (Plus it was pretty cheap)

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
LOL I always walk into the store with the purchase item I need to get. Always walk out with things I had no idea I wanted to take home. The gorgonian is lovely

SO EXCITED....
Before we started the large tank we purchased a small tank (I think its 11 gallons) with some Condi anemones some clown fish sexy shrimp Peterson shrimp an emerald crab bla bla bla. Well Mrs.sponge really likes the Pom Pom crab so we picked one up. It had one tiny tiny Pom and was the cutest little thing. Sticking it out and waving it in the faces of everything that came near. Unfortunately a short time later maybe two weeks I found him dead on the bottom. Is very disheartening. We really felt terrible for the little guy..... fast forward a couple of months (today) and the tank was looking terrible primarily because I had the rocks to close to the glass and made it nearly impossible to clean. So when I got home I started to break down the tank to clean it. I mean really clean out. Took out all inhabitants the rocks everything. Razor blade the glass sifted the sand and low and behold when I popped this cover open that’s suppose to keep things in the tank when water is filtered. THERES THE POM POM. apparently I mistook the little guys shed as, well a dead one. I mean it was all there legs tiny claws everything. To top it off he now has TWO Pom poms and they are a nice size. I will attach a pic. But understand it is taken through the water from above with my phone. But if you look close you can see his proud Pom poms. Yay so happy.