• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New to this

Great point. We do have forced hot air. And house is wayyyy to dry. I have a stand alone humidifier and it normally goes thru around 8 gallons of water in about 12 hours and now that you mention it. It was still running when I got home. Usually it runs out of water and I have to refill the two tanks when I get home. Hmmm maybe it will help with how dry the house is.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I have baseboard oil and the house gets dry.
The tanks act as a humidifier.
I go through about 1/2 to 1 gallon a day on each of my 40g tanks.
No worries as long as you keep topping the tanks up to avoid the salinity raising too high.

Yea my wife and I keep looking a different corals and stuff. There is so much out there. Can be prety expensive. Good thing we are patient. Happy to buy a much less expensive frag and let it gro. To be honest. As nice as it would be to simply buy good size colonies. I’m excited to see them mature in to beautiful animals.

deepblue68

POTM Winner
my thoughts exactly! good luck and look forward to watching your reef grow!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It wouldnt hurt to cover some of the tanks 5 gallons a day adds up. You looking at 150 or so gallons of top off water a month. That a lot of RODI water. I have a canopy over my 225 and I only evaporate 1.5 gallons a day.

That makes sense. I can definitely cover 3 of them easily. And half of a fourth one. I will start on that ASAP and let you all know the diffence. As an update. I have had as much as six gallons on cold days when the heat is pumping. So if I cut that in half. That would be great

Will be adding a fish or two or three for the first couple of months after cycle is complete. My wife and I are fans of some fairly common fish such as the bangi cardinal. Any one of the fire fish. We also like a lot of the Blennys and the royal gramma. Won’t be placing coral until I see fish are healthy and happy.
Any recommendations for first fish based on experience

Today was great. My wife (Mrs Sponge) and I were graciously invited to see Danger Daves tank. WOW WOW WOW what a great set up. Beautiful DT and wonderful frag tank. Lighting is beautiful. Rock work is beautiful. Very automated and clearly well maintained. We can only hope to have a system half as sweet. Dave... if you stumble across this post. Thank you so much. You showed and explained so much. Allowing us a peek into your work was truly awesome. For the record. We just ordered the hybrid T-5/LED Combo and are super excited

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Matt,

You're always active on my build thread but I never thought to check yours ! WHAT A BUILD! I'm excited to see yours almost as much as mine hahaha obviously a little more for mine though. We are in about the same boat with cycle however, I don't know if a smaller quantity of water will cycle faster than a larger quantity.

I'm looking into a QT now I think so I can get my fish going.

As some have said covering some tanks might be beneficial (especially ones that don't have lights if any exist)