• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New to this

Thanks. It’s been an fun ride. I am in the process of cleaning up an old sump (removing baffles and cleaning up silicone) to use for QT. But I really can’t complete a QT tank because I don’t have completely cycled rock to put in it. I picked up a large one of those sponge bubble filters and put it in one of my sumps so it starts building up a bio load. Also picking up some bricks (got that from Paul) to use a bio holders for qt. That way if I have to treat a fish with medications I’ll just toss it out and use a new one.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Thanks. It’s been an fun ride. I am in the process of cleaning up an old sump (removing baffles and cleaning up silicone) to use for QT. But I really can’t complete a QT tank because I don’t have completely cycled rock to put in it. I picked up a large one of those sponge bubble filters and put it in one of my sumps so it starts building up a bio load. Also picking up some bricks (got that from Paul) to use a bio holders for qt. That way if I have to treat a fish with medications I’ll just toss it out and use a new one.
I've just learnt that rock isn't necessary obviously will require more water changes but bare tank with some PVC does the trick

Ahhhh the next step in the evolution of the system has taken place. Nitrogen cycle complete. I will test all parameters later tonight but looks like we are just about ready to move on to the next step quarantine and stocking woot woot :dance:

After a stupid amount of planning. I spent the day building our light support / fish containment / stray light eliminator and access to tank... hood. It’s not painted yet. And I have moldings to still put on to dress it up. But I feel good about how it went so I am posting some early photos
upload_2019-5-11_20-9-41.jpeg
Early stage of skeleton
upload_2019-5-11_20-10-40.jpeg
Cutting slot for electric cord
upload_2019-5-11_20-11-55.jpeg
Checking fit
upload_2019-5-11_20-13-7.jpeg
Making sure light sits properly

upload_2019-5-11_20-15-7.jpeg
upload_2019-5-11_20-15-48.jpeg
The idea is snug fit so jumping fish have no place to go and the front panel lifts off. Plus the light is on a suspension system so it can easily be raised to give me room to work
upload_2019-5-11_20-18-50.jpeg
Front panel on...checking for stray light. Obviously needs trim and paint.

That’s about it for tonight. Start dolling it up tomorrow.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-11_20-14-2.jpeg
    upload_2019-5-11_20-14-2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Very nice.
I keep trying, but most stuff I make tends to end up looking like a kids gold painted macaroni and macrame project.