• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Welcome To NJRC! Take a minute to introduce yourself

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome Larissa, as I mentioned to beerfish, lets get a “Tale of the Tank” thread going for that 75…and we want to see pictures. It’s great to see the progress from a rock pile to corals and fish.

Will do... now that the camera battery is all charged up! I took a couple initially, but have slacked since then. I'll get those photos. For the story, we might have to look to him, since he knows all the techy lingo better than I. For now. ;D

Ok i never know where to start with these things. My name is George im 28. Born and raised in Plainfield, NJ. At the age of 18 i thought it was a good idea to join the Army and get to travel to exotic places. LOL. Go figure the only exotic places i got to visit were Afganistan and Iraq twice. I now do work as a basement waterproofer installing french drains and sump pumps. The work is good and honest and i enjoy doing it. I also do part time work as a flight instructor. Helps me keep my edge. I currently reside in Somerset county.

I bought my first Tank about 8 months ago from Ocean Gallery on rt 22 in North Plainfield. They were very knowledgable and helped with everything i needed. A little pricy but worth it for all the knowledge and advise i got from them. I have a 55g w/overflow, 2 stage 1 Koralia powerheads, 100lbs of live rock, 2in live sand bed, wet/dry sump w/ Bio Balls (which im slowly removing), Protein skimmer in sump. Lighting is a compact fluoresent. Thats pretty much it on the tank.
:)

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
George welcome!

And thanks for your service.

You've stumbled upon a great website and fantastic group of people.

Please feel free to ask questions.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome George, we're glad you found us. Good luck with the new tank and please feel free to ask any quesitons you may have along the way.

And yes, a HUGE thanks for you service!

Thank you for the warm welcomes. I have actually been looking for a website likes this since i got into the hobby or obsession! Its nice to know there is a group like this close by. Ill be signing up for a premium membership for sure. Im pretty sure ill have a bunch of questions along my path. Although my system isnt that sophisticated yet, im sure as i get more into it it will become :)

Hey George, welcome! Glad you found the site.

Where do you instruct? I started my license then moved and haven't found a new flight school yet. Maybe we can get together and talk Air, Sea and... well Land is boring.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
George

Welcome to NJRC. Great club! There are a lot of members in our area(I'm in Piscataway). If you need a hand shout out.

Bob

Hello George ---and welcome---yes, i too was glad once i found this club---its nice to have people within and around the area where you live to be able to ask questions and go to meetings and meet everyone ( i have'nt been able to make a meeting myself yet!!!! )
there are ALOT of informative members here---so dont be afraid to ask questions---no matter how minor---
oh---
Thankyou very much for giving of yourself to help protect our good ole USA ;D

beerfish said:
Hey George, welcome! Glad you found the site.

Where do you instruct? I started my license then moved and haven't found a new flight school yet. Maybe we can get together and talk Air, Sea and... well Land is boring.

I instruct at a few different schools, Flying W, Somerset, and Readington. Do it to keep my skills sharp. More of a free lance thing. I teach people who were recommended. Agree with you Air and sea are very interesting.

magic said:
George

Welcome to NJRC. Great club! There are a lot of members in our area(I'm in Piscataway). If you need a hand shout out.

Bob

Thanks Bob. Im right in Bridgewater so not far from you.

Hello everyone!
Quite a nice forum you've got here. I guess this thread is about introductions so here I go...
My name is Frank, I'm an Oceanographer at the Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences at Rutgers University in New Brunswick.
I helped design/build and continue to maintain the Coral Research Aquaria here at the institute (since Jan 2004). We perform lots of research on studying issues of coral bleaching with both the corals and symbiodinium. (there is even some cancer research going on with Xenia spp.!)
I completed my BS here at Rutgers in 04' and just finished my MS here this semester. I hope to be able to contribute to your discussions while increasing my knowledge of reef aquariums from some of you "older" pros. ;)

We've currently got two separate systems (150 gal; 250 gal) and I'm in the middle of cycling 4 new 30gal tanks that will be used for some neat bleaching studies.

Nice to be on board!
-Frank

RU_Coral_Guy said:
Hello everyone!
Quite a nice forum you've got here. I guess this thread is about introductions so here I go...
My name is Frank, I'm an Oceanographer at the Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences at Rutgers University in New Brunswick.
I helped design/build and continue to maintain the Coral Research Aquaria here at the institute (since Jan 2004). We perform lots of research on studying issues of coral bleaching with both the corals and symbiodinium. (there is even some cancer research going on with Xenia spp.!)
I completed my BS here at Rutgers in 04' and just finished my MS here this semester. I hope to be able to contribute to your discussions while increasing my knowledge of reef aquariums from some of you "older" pros. ;)

We've currently got two separate systems (150 gal; 250 gal) and I'm in the middle of cycling 4 new 30gal tanks that will be used for some neat bleaching studies.

Nice to be on board!
-Frank

welcome to the forums frank-
fellow Marine Science alumni here too, Richard Stockton College, NJ 1999

Merv

Welcome Frank!

Hope your studies yield some knowledge that can be shared with the 'older pros' and others.

I bet you might find some friendly folks willing to donate test subjects as well. ;D

blange3 said:
Welcome Frank!

Hope your studies yield some knowledge that can be shared with the 'older pros' and others.

I bet you might find some friendly folks willing to donate test subjects as well. ;D

"Test subjects" are always welcome! Considering corals grow so fast (sarcasm), we are always looking for some new frags!

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hello everyone!

My name is Rod and I just moved to Edison from Philly about 3 months ago! I am still totally lost and have no clue where anything is! ANyways...

I am a Country Club Manager, originally from Brasil and have been keeping aquariums since I was 12. I have kept and bred Discus very succesfully but my work schedule made it a pain in the butt to handle all the maintnence required to keep it up. I have since sold all my stock and equipment and decided to go with something easier...like a reef tank ;D!

I broke down my 125gl and sold it in Philly and bought a new 75gl for the new house, smaller was a compromise with the wife...and have moved my livestock from the old tank to the new one. I have mostly softies and some small SPS and LPS just for fun!

Simplicity is a must for me, I run no major filters or refugiums other then a skimmer and a homemade Aqua Clear refugium that has chaeto. I have a lot of live rock in my tank, and perfome weekly small water changes, so far it has worked for me, no losses or major issues.

I am a newbie to reefkeeping an looking forward to meeting all of you at an upcoming meeting! I will post pictures soon! Thanks for reading! :D

Rod