• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Thirty 5's Deep Blue Rimless!!

howze01

NJRC Member
:(
sorry....

So what do I need to bring you so we (by we I mean you;)) can make me a light holder like that? How many feet of 3/4" conduit did you use? How were you planning on hanging the lights from them? I would imagine it could be as easy as some eye hooks or you could just drill the conduit itself....hmmmmmm

Well.....
I plan on drilling holes in the conduit to run the wires through using rubber grommets. Then to hang I have not decided yet. I just may use some eye hooks drilled right though with decorative caps. I also though about running wire through the conduit so I can actually change the height of the lights with the wires and the actual rack. I won't have it ironed out until I actually mount them. Changed my mind on the lighting so I won't have them for a while. :( Backordered... Still doing Sol's tho.

I want the lights to be a nice clean install. No wires exposed unless they have to be. If you are not in a rush to do yours, you can wait till I get mine done.

Today I finished up the plumbing on the sump. Have to just connect the hoses to the tank itself. I had 28 gallons of water on hand that I put into the tank and it is currently filling with the RO unit as we speak. Have to turn it off before I leave for work tho :(.

Up early tomorrow morning to get it running again. I should have it totally filled with water on Sunday I hope.

2011-11-18123841.jpg

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looking good! Can you get a top down shot of the plumbing on the right side so we can see what's going on there?

Kinda late now, but the bulkhead to drain the skimmer section might have been better if it was on the bottom glass panel (unless its tempered)... so you can completely drain the whole section. If it's tempered, then as low as you can get to the frame would have been better. Sorry I didn't think of mentioning that before, but it should do fine the way you have it.

I'm really liking the sump design too. Nice big fuge section that will let you grow a nice bunch of macro algae. One suggestion I'd make though is try to install a piece of Gutter Guard or similar mesh to help stop anything from getting from the fuge to the return section. It works great for keeping chaeto out and some larger snails, although you really can't stop the smaller snails unless you have a tight mesh like This but it's not as sturdy as the Gutter Guard so you will need to frame it or fasten it somehow.

Just had a moment to read the thread.Some terrific ideas you have,I really like the rockwork.Im glad we have another "hands on" person here..

Looking good! Can you get a top down shot of the plumbing on the right side so we can see what's going on there?

Kinda late now, but the bulkhead to drain the skimmer section might have been better if it was on the bottom glass panel (unless its tempered)... so you can completely drain the whole section. If it's tempered, then as low as you can get to the frame would have been better. Sorry I didn't think of mentioning that before, but it should do fine the way you have it.

I'm really liking the sump design too. Nice big fuge section that will let you grow a nice bunch of macro algae. One suggestion I'd make though is try to install a piece of Gutter Guard or similar mesh to help stop anything from getting from the fuge to the return section. It works great for keeping chaeto out and some larger snails, although you really can't stop the smaller snails unless you have a tight mesh like This but it's not as sturdy as the Gutter Guard so you will need to frame it or fasten it somehow.

I already have the screenining to block top of fuge. Jus didn't install it yet.

In both the return section and the skimmer section there is a piece of pvc on a elbow. Those pieces are cut a a 45 ad basically pushed to the bottom of the tank. I ran a test and about 1/4 in of water remains when I drain it.

Sent from my Piece of crap Sprint Epic

Today I filled the system with water. It is currently still filling up in the sump but there is so much water that the tank can actually run without the sump being full. When I get home tonight from work, the sump should be filled and the temp should be up to where it should be (have 2 heaters on right now). I will then add salt in the morning to get it up to where it should be. Then I hope to start cycling monday. I also built a stand out of eggcrates for my skimmer since I need to get it almost 14 inches from the bottom of the tank. It all fits well together. No updated pic of sump, I will get that tomorrow. It was very easy to fill the tank, just turned on the pump and filled the tank without a problem. Since the sump is bigger than the DT I was able to fill it all the way.

I just found out that my lights will be delivered on Tuesday (long story)! Can't wait to get them mounted.

2011-11-19094422.jpg

2011-11-19130607.jpg

All filled and cycling as we speak. Lights come tomorrow, I am gonna try to get them mounted on Wed. I had to do some adjustments to the plumbing on the sump. I also installed all the hoses to drain right into slop sink. I need to tidy them up a bit, but they are ok for now.

2011-11-21150833.jpg

2011-11-21150927.jpg

2011-11-21150955.jpg

2011-11-21151010.jpg

2011-11-21151023.jpg

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looking good! Bet you can't wait to get the lights and play around with em...even though you don't have anything that needs them yet.

Is that a sandy grit that's in the skimmer cup? If so, that should clear up when the display settles. Might help if you have a filter sock on the drain to the sump.

Yep that is grit. Filter socks is all that I don't have yet. I know what it is, and I am not worried about it right now. It was clear but I had to drain the fuge section yesterday and when i put all the water back in, it made it cloudy again!

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Gotcha. I don't think it matters much but sand probably isn't the best thing to be running through your pump/skimmer so I suggested the sock. I was mostly just wondering if my observation was correct. ;)

11/23/2011
Well yesterday I got my lights! The AI Sol in "BLACK" Love them!!!
2011-11-23073005.jpg

2011-11-23073036.jpg

2011-11-23073047.jpg

I first drilled holes into the heat sinks on all 4 corners and installed plastic tubes to hang the lights from. I did not want the wires to be on the threads of the screws. I used 3 strands of stainless steel wire and spun them to make one wire. The wires were then attached to the tubes.

2011-11-23084759.jpg

2011-11-23083558.jpg

I then found where I wanted the lights by putting eggcrate on the tank to simulate the lights. I then used a plumb-bob to find were the outer holes should go.

2011-11-23090859.jpg

2011-11-23091041.jpg

I then drilled the holes and tapped them. I then ran string through the conduits and mounted them on the tank at the right height (can adjust more later). I then pulled the wiring through the conduits through holes that I cut into the conduit. I then used rubber grommets to protect the wires.

I then screwed in eye hooks into the holes that I tapped earlier and then hung the lights with the wires. Cleaned it all up with some cable ties and all done!!

2011-11-23113905.jpg

2011-11-23113806.jpg

I have to say that they came out better than I expected!!!

I have a video below to show the lights it is a about 2 mintues.

[video=youtube_share;TTJ1KWhtU0A]http://youtu.be/TTJ1KWhtU0A[/video]