• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Welcome To NJRC! Take a minute to introduce yourself

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome everyone.

MauroD. A great time to meet a lot of our fellow reefers would be at our fall Frag Swap. Grab a bunch of your friends for the roadtrip. Hope to see ya then.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome, Mauro! Great looking tank and corals.

Be sure to post up when you're in town. We can guide you into the better LFS in the area and maybe some local to visit. Feel free to make yourself at home!

I certainly will drop a note when in town!
Thanks for the warm welcome. For those of you who were at Macna, I was the big guy (260lb, 6footish) with the BRS nametag :).
M.

Hello everyone... I'm Joe from Boonton, NJ. I have been reefing for 2 years now. I started out with planted tanks and then got the reef bug once i saw all the colors. That's when i saw all the green leave my wallet. I have a 20 gallon AGA tank. MOstly softies. I do have a branching hammer that's doing quite well. I'm a zoa fiend... but unfortunately i can't afford a lot of them. I also have a custom built acrylic sump/fuge that i have no iead how to set up with a custom HOT overflow which i also have no idea how to set up (kinda) I'm running 130 watts of PC lighting and i have two "nemos" cuz my wife and three year old said why does your fish tank have no fish.

Besides that when i'm not on the internet looking at corals, I cook for a living. Well at least that's what i say. I'm a professional chef , so when the next meeting comes up please let me know i'll help cater. Either that or i'll bring beer.

Thanks for having me.

Joe

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi Joe, welcome to NJRC. We're glad you found us. Sounds like the bug hit you pretty good!

We look forward to meeting you and your beer catered dishes at a meeting soon. If there's anything we can do to help out, feel free to ask.

Heya!! Some of you old timers may know who I am from my nick which was my business many years ago...for those of you who don't, I'm Brian Griffin. I've been involved in theis hobby for quite a few years, less more recently, but still in touch. I will be very active now and wanted to let you know that I am here. I am located in New Jersey.......great job being done here!!!!

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
medachef said:
Besides that when i'm not on the internet looking at corals, I cook for a living. Well at least that's what i say. I'm a professional chef , so when the next meeting comes up please let me know i'll help cater. Either that or i'll bring beer.

Hey MedaChef, my partner Pete (ChefPete here on NJRC) is also a professional chef and loves an excuse (or should I say challenge), you guys can compare notes.

Hi All,

Nice to meet some of you today at Boonton Bob's. Unfortunately one of our tanks came down with ick and we had to run before the store's closed...

Now time to "medicate" the tank...

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
whitefang said:
Hi All,

Nice to meet some of you today at Boonton Bob's. Unfortunately one of our tanks came down with ick and we had to run before the store's closed...

Now time to "medicate" the tank...

I would suggest not medicating the tank but rather setting up a separate hospital tank and medicating the fish instead.

Matt, re:

>I would suggest not medicating the tank but rather setting up a separate hospital tank and medicating the fish instead.

Unfortunately, we've kinda run out of room for hospital tanks with all of our fresh water "stuff"...

Perhaps when I'm building the new 180 gallon setup, and I find some more room, I can have a nice s/w hospital/quarantine tank...

(good advice though!)

Best regards,

For some reason I never really got around to introduce myself.

Well my name is Steve, and I hail from the town of Haledon, by Wayne, I wish I lived near Avenel, but we can't always live in paradise. I've always kept fish, mostly small tank of the nano variety. Right now at the moment, I have a 55g Reef, that's just starting to get better, got my first corals recently, had a major crash, and bounced right back. I am a high school student, and I'm goin to Bergen Catholic (All Guys, it sucks, parents want me to go), and I play football there. I'm a freshmen now, so I'm at the bottom of the food chain. I'm 14, and don't be startled when you see a kid come to your house to pick up corals, and who forgets to call. I have a dog named Monty, who is a West Highland White Terrier(Westie), and he is annoying sometimes. I'll be moving soon, either to Bergen County, or somewhere else, not too sure. I'm in the planning stages of my 120g, you could see one of my MANY , and I mean many, questions on this page.

-Thanks,
Steve

Hi...Just registered! Live in Ocean County NJ(Brick)and my DW and I are thinking and planning about a saltwater setup. Have 15 years plus with freshwater...
Will look to start a gentle community reef! (who knows where it will go after that.
Thanks for listening . . .
So much to learn and Thanks to everyone for sharing in this forum.

Andrew
IronhorseIV
RVN - '68 - '70

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome to the forums, Andrew. Lots of great information in the threads. Be sure to start a "Tale of the Tank" thread when you're ready to start the serious "what am I going to buy" part of the process! Follow along in the FS forum to pick up what you can find gently used for a discount. Try to make it to the August meeting. It isn't too far from us (we're not far from you) and will be a good time filled with many reefers to ask questions of, not to mention seeing the tanks of a looooong time reefer and part of the club.

hey all, my name is kevin...first day here and im pretty excited because im actually starting a new reef setup tomorrow.

youlll all be able to see where i go from start to finish. and please from where i go, give me all your opinions.
i do a lot of freshwater, great fish. and a lot of salt. howver i want to try my hand at a nano reef now. im talking...4 gallons. trust me i know the issues that can arise.

but im buying my products tomorrow..so please any and all replys get back to me soon, i love hearing from you!

-kevin

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
iplaydrums1 said:
hey all, my name is kevin...first day here and im pretty excited because im actually starting a new reef setup tomorrow.

youlll all be able to see where i go from start to finish. and please from where i go, give me all your opinions.
i do a lot of freshwater, great fish. and a lot of salt. howver i want to try my hand at a nano reef now. im talking...4 gallons. trust me i know the issues that can arise.

but im buying my products tomorrow..so please any and all replys get back to me soon, i love hearing from you!

-kevin
Kevin

Welcome to NJRC! Keep us posted on your progress and feel free to ask questions.

Bob

iplaydrums1 said:

-kevin

kevin - if you sign up as a member - the cost for the nano set up may be cheaper!