• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Welcome To NJRC! Take a minute to introduce yourself

deadcpu said:
Hello everyone,
I am new here. Just get my feet into saltwater tank. I'm at the set up stage right now.

cool. take lots of pictures and post them in the tale of the tank forum. we love pictures of progress.

638fitter said:
Hi my name is marty born and raised in colonia nj 36 married 3 devils i mean sons started this crazy hobby bout a year ago i love it all i can say is im glad i work in nyc to make some good money for this hobby and my other hobby which is my 72 camaro rs and the newest toy a 83 chevy 2500 lifted hotrod/mudder truck.

hey, how did you get these guys to bop their heads like that. that avatar is great but i cant stop watching it. i think i am hypnotised!

Hi all! Had a great time at the meeting on saturday, it was good to meet you all. I'm back to work, but I should be at the may meeting. -Adam

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Stay safe over there, Adam, and we'll see you in May.

Thank you for all you do.

Hi Everyone!
My name is Jamie Steele and I have been reefkeeping for about 7 years now. I have tried several different methods from Berlin to hybrid and i am now running an ecosystem on a 120g with 2-250 HQI's. i love to experiment with methods and reeftoys, DIY, anything i can get my hands on. I must have the largest pile of unused reef equipment in south jersy, haha.

I am very much looking forward to attending the meetings and talking to other enthusiasts.

Hi, just wanted to drop a quick hello to everyone. I am new to the site, and fairly new to the hobby as well. I have been keeping freshwater fish for almost 4 years now. I decided to give saltwater a try, just because I was fascinated with all the different types and colors of fish, corals, inverts, etc...

About a year and a half ago I purchased a 65 gal (not reef ready, big mistake) to keep a FO tank. Well that lasted to the end of the cycle when I started to introduce live rock to the tank, now about 90 lbs of live rock later I wanted to start a reef tank. I removed all the rock from the tank pulled out all the fish I had in there, (gave them a great home in a nice SW tank we keep at where I work, they are all doing great.) I kept one fish, Anthias, cleaner shrimp, and a coral banded shrimp. I attempted to create a nice aquascape, not so sure. I just can seem to get it the way I want. I tried three times. I have added 3 corals, a zoo, yellow polyp and a clove polyp, all are doing great.

I am already planning my next purchase. 120 gal reef ready tank, can't wait.

Enough rambling on. I am really looking froward to using this site and getting all the advise and help I am going to need. The one thing they forgot to tell me about keeping a saltwater tank, is how expensive this hobby is. I really think doing drugs would have been cheaper hobby, but not as rewarding. LOL

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome to NJRC Jamie and Anthony, we're glad you found us. Thanks for sharing a little info about your systems and experience with us. Hopefully you'll get a chance to attend a meeting in the future so we can put a face to the screen name.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome Jamie and Anthony! Enjoy the forums, and like John said, Hope to see you @ a meeting soon!

JohnS_323 said:
Welcome to NJRC Jamie and Anthony, we're glad you found us. Thanks for sharing a little info about your systems and experience with us. Hopefully you'll get a chance to attend a meeting in the future so we can put a face to the screen name.
Would really love to come to a meeting. When is the next one?

Anthony

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The next meeting is Saturday, March 15 in Middlesex, NJ. Welcome. Hope to see you there!

Hello My name is Bobb and Im new to the salt water reefs at this scale. I have a 55 gallon but im in the process of building a 265 in wall tank. Im in collecting equipment mode right now. I would love to come to a meeting i know its in middlesex but where bout and what do I have to do just show up or tell someone Im showing up. Im also in learning mode such as what the different items for the tanks going on these web sites make a person feel dumb you guys all know so much. Im giving my self a year to build the tank and equipment room before I stock it. Thought the perfect way to learn it all is to join NJRC. Any suggestions would be delightful as Im a NOOB. also getting rid of my 55 so if anybody has anything I could use for the setup I will trade it. Thanks for being so kind and letting me join.

Hey Bob! Welcome!

The Middlesex meeting was on 3-15 and has since passed. The next meeting is in Bloomington, NJ - here's the link:
Next Meeting on April 13

Just sign up and come. Someone insert the staples easy button here. :)

Everyone is learning here. Heck I just seem to know a lot because I get to stay at a holiday inn express every once in a while. ;) I know the others are groaning 'cause I've used that joke one too many times.

malulu

NJRC Member
just reply (or RSVP) to that link, and show ups to the meeting... with a food or drink would be helpful to off load the host's busy time to preparing food for all of us.
;)

I signed up for the meeting and I will be there. What kind of food or drink we talking about. Ill bring anything. almost. ah ill figure it out . thanks

malulu

NJRC Member
you can see what type of food normally people bring, it would be great if you bring one of your favorite dish... or beer are always good.
;D

How rude of me to join and not introduce myself. Hi everyone,my name is Vincent and I currently reside in S.Philly, hopefully will move to Jersey(near future) to join all of you ;D. Born in Vietnam, left there only a couple months old and have since grew up in US. Currently married to my HS sweetheart for a strong 12yrs with many more to come, we have 2 boys(12 and8) and expecting another in Oct, hopefully a girl this time.
I have been trying to keep saltwater fish for last 2-3 years with no success. Did not know there was much more to it than gravel and filters. I was "stupid" for not searching online forums before starting but since have been reading every forum I can find but still have more to learn, as you can see my question in the forum. Hopefully all members here can help with your insights and knowledge on how to keep a reef tank successfully. I really like this club because I went to a meeting(Feb)in Cherry Hill and everyone was so nice and kind to me and my wife. Looking to meet more members here in the future meetings. :)

vincent6396 said:
I really like this club because I went to a meeting(Feb)in Cherry Hill and everyone was so nice and kind to me and my wife. Looking to meet more members here in the future meetings. :)
That's only the south folks. The central and north folks are far better and nicer...
Dang where is that backspace key? ;)

welcome to njrc! Not that we haven't said it already but may as well make it official on this thread!

Congratulations on expecting a 3rd! After having two girls I don't think we will entertain thoughts of another...until people who have had 3 kids can convince me that it will get saner in the household. :D

I have four kids 3 boys 1 girl and no it doesn't get easier. We also have tropical birds to go with the tropical fish. We have a Cockatoo a gold cap conure 2 sun conures and a bird and gold macaw and a few other small birds. Sounds like a damn tropical jungle in my house at times. Oh Ive been married for 16 yrs also for got to metion that, oops. Im a Noob and still learning before I start the big tank. Bobb